Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

intermittent clutch problem?

llaneve
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
worried about being towed back to the house. I have a 71mgb that always
ran and performed very well. Last September I drove out of my driveway and
about one mile down the road while shifting gears it loss power the engine was runing but it would move in any gear. It would go in any gear with no problem but it would not move, it was like every gear was neutral. had it towed back to my house and it still had the problem. Next day everything worked liked nothing happen.Ran it up and down the driveway for 20 minitues and it was ok.
I bled the slave Clutch, check all fluids, did not see any leak anywhere the slave clutch was replaced 5 years ago with low milage on the car. any ideas on what next.the car is stored and covered outside.

paul J
01-24-2009, 04:36 AM
worried about being towed back to the house. I have a 71mgb that always
ran and performed very well. Last September I drove out of my driveway and
about one mile down the road while shifting gears it loss power the engine was runing but it would move in any gear. It would go in any gear with no problem but it would not move, it was like every gear was neutral. had it towed back to my house and it still had the problem. Next day everything worked liked nothing happen.Ran it up and down the driveway for 20 minitues and it was ok.
I bled the slave Clutch, check all fluids, did not see any leak anywhere the slave clutch was replaced 5 years ago with low milage on the car. any ideas on what next.the car is stored and covered outside.
Check the rubber hose going from the line to the slave cylinder. They go bad sometimes and the lining breaks loose inside, giving a valve effect when you push the clutch in and not letting it return all the way, usually when the hose gets hot. Thus, causing the clutch to slip. Not saying this is your problem, but a good inexpensive place to start and if the hose is original, it should be replaced anyway. This scenario happens on brake line hoses also, causing a brake not to release completely or not work at all. PJ

Add your comment to this topic!