Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Would you buy a E32 750iL its lot of car for so little

dizzle1
11-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Would you buy a E32 750iL its lot of car for so little money

I had a 90 735i before and test drove a black on black 88 750iL and all I could say was I wish I had the 750iL the car felt like it had a soul again. All around looks and rwd performance and handling, the V12's powerband felt broad over 3000rpms and I didn't want to let off it was that addictive. I really wanted to let it loose down the highway but was far from one. I read that 185mph is attainable with the limiter removed if the reading is accurate. Kind of doubt it though maybe 175mph GPS verified and delimiting would mean more power with chip.

It’s a full size luxury car with black being the color of choice nice lines and 50/50 weight distribution, good power, RWD, power rear seats, full size spare, things new cars rip you off for, LSD, CD changer, ASC, Projector headlights, Sunroof with windows that go down all the way, fog lights, big rear armrest with console, ashtrays, folding mirrors, a normal trunk opening. To bring the car up to date it needs a set of 18inch M-Parallel rims, HID’s 55W 6000k-8000k, ECU Chip, K&N’s, Synthetic Motor Oil, Iridium’s and maybe tints. Not sure on exhaust mods but want that V12 sound.

This car was definitely the one to have in the late 80's and early 90's. It’s was driven by rich business men, the mafia and wealthy people. It was seen in movies and music videos it was really ahead of its time it was such an iconic car in popular culture. The car had a gangster profile to go with its performance appeal. It was the king of full size luxury sedans and set new standards of performance which held the title for 1st place many of its years.

The 88-94 750il's were either fast or just quick because of the change in the differential’s final drive ratio’s for better fuel economy and a higher top speed. The 5.0 V12 makes 296hp at 5200rpm and 332tq at 4100rpm and weighs 4250lbs. I’m not sure if any E32 750iL is a tire spinner or smoker off the line like the newer E38 740/750 bimmers, but I expected it to be but it just couldn't do it why?

Now why wouldn’t you buy it well here’s what you’d say to yourself you don’t get a car this old without any problems. Even If you’re a DIY the parts are expensive and if you need a motor and transmission you’ll be looking hard for a good replacement or do a complete rebuild. If you’re not a DIY’er don’t buy it unless you can keep up with your mechanics labor cost. New cars provide similar performance or better while moving less mass and have better fuel economy. They have higher output from a smaller engine like the Toyota Avalon 3.5 V6 280hp 260tq on premium with a 6speed automatic and rated 20/28 which is also similar in size but 3500lbs and maybe faster until speeds hit triple digits vs. 11/17 for the 750iL. The 750iL is a highway stormer and a fun driver you just can’t mimic the feel of a rear drive.

It’s like a car I’d drive twice a week because of its practicality unless you just don’t have the room for it. The 96^ bmw 740’s should pull off what the old V12 does and the 99^ sport package models are faster. But in the end it’s your decision depreciation has hit these cars already so anything is up for grabs.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

Bear
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Six years ago I bought a '88 750il with 90,000 miles on the odometer and I loved the car. However, it did not come without issues and I replaced betweeen the time I bought her and the time I sold her (last year), the drive shaft, front upper control arm bushings,rear beer cans, alternator,power steering pump,rear LAD struts, and I also converted her to HFC 134a. I was able to do almost all of the work myself so I saved a ton of money so if considering one of the big 12s be advised she is not cheap to maintain. Still, I wish I had kept her (my wife does not share that feeling).

Bear
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Forgot to add I also replaced the hydraulic brake servo. For thos unfamiliar with this car it does not use pneumatic pressure for braking, it is all done from pressure supplied by the PS pump ( a three port pump that does steering,braking, and rear leveling), there is a back up systerm in the event of a catastrophic hydraulic failure consisting of a Nitrogen filled bomb ( think of Wiley Coyote and the Road Runner) with a membrane held in place by hydraulic pressure, if the hydraulic pressure fails the membrane ruptures and nitrogen is released into the brake lines so you have a couple of brake applications. A great deal of innovation on this car considering the build date (mine was 11/87), four channel ABS, dual PCM, dual distributors,dual throttle bodies, drive by wire throttle control, electric rear seat cushion, dual AC and heating control, and the beat goes on. 150,000 on my car when I sold it and still had original paint and leather interior (both in great shape).

Add your comment to this topic!