Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'93 740i CEL on

catesja
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I am working on my brother-in-laws car while he is in Iraq, and I took it to the dealer to get diagnosed. They said new O2, new catalytic converter, new intake gaskets and intake mass air boot. Well, I have done everything but the intake gaskets because everywhere I tried to get them they were out and not available. I haev them on order, but here it the thing. The Light still comes on, but then after a bit it will go off. Then back on. It doesn't seem to run any different truely, but it could be the intake leak right? It has great get up and go, and I was able to get it up to 100mph last night after putting the new cat and o2 and intake boot on. Never a CEL until today after driving around town a bit. Then it was off, then back on again. I hope to be getting the intake gaskets by Christmas (said december 1 in stock estimate) so I can finish it then, but until then could it be the intake leak that is causing the code (no reader and too old for auto stores). It does idle a little more rough when the light is on, but not a big difference.

Thanks

Jeff

Bob Pate
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Jeff

I also have a 93 BMW 740IL. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, come to find out that I had a blown head gasket. It was an expensive fix. I hope you have something else. Right now I seem to be having a problem with the transmission growling, especially in low gear. Have you ever had that problem? I doin't know maybe nothing is wrong.
Bob

Add your comment to this topic!