Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 civic stock car b20 frankenstien

oval racer03
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
hey guys i'm new to this forum stuff so here it goes... Im running at a 1/3 mile oval in ontario canada with a 89 civic up until the end og last season all we could run were sohc non v-tech's so everyone was running zc's with a pm7 computer and i had a mini-me my car set up so it was just hitting the rev limiter at the end of the straight. But now they have allowed dohc non-vtec for next year so i'm just wondering what to build i have been told to build a frankenstien a b20b block (witch i have found) with a b18 head of a non-v-tech i'm just wondering will this fit in a civic? are they reliable? and what tranny do i use?any help or idea's would be appriciated

CivicSpoon
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
It will fit. It will basically be the same thing as swapping in any B-series into your car, so just do a search online for a walkthrough. But the non-vtec (no H) B18 heads are the same as the one from the B20B's. Although some B20's come with bigger valves on one side, I forget if it's the intake side (I believe it's those) or the exhaust side. As for transmission, I have no idea which one would be ideal for you specific needs. You could get one from an older Integra, or use one from a '94-'01 Integra if you are willing to buy a cable to hydraulic kit for it. Here's a transmission gear calculator that might help you decide:
http://fatboyraceworks.com/gears/

oval racer03
10-16-2008, 08:23 AM
thanks for the info that helps iv done some looking online and found the ys1 tranny we run 2nd gear at the track and it has a longer one than any of the other ones i think i will try one. as for the head i have to put on a integra head because my car looks like a teg and your sopossed to have the stock motor for the car so i'm just going to pop that head on an re-number the block and that should give me more torque than the stock non-vtech b18b?

Add your comment to this topic!