Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

6/71 1972 MGB Fuel Pump Stored since 84 gummed up, HELP!

randy30
08-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Bought this MGB Sat. Looking to sell it soon so I'm fixing it up. Did the norm things, checks etc. restored engine, top but it has sat in a barn covered since 1984. I have fire to the pump, but not ticking when first loaded the gas, so I pulled the lines and the old gas was gummy, oily smell etc. Any one know how I should proceed to get it cleaned without removing it. Any tips. I put the gas treatment in and 5-6 gallons, whacked the pump a few times, blew out couple lines but still no tick tick. Can't wait to drive it. Had two midgets and a B in the 70s so its been a while since I owned one and fairly handy with tools. and could anyone tell me what I have, it was mfg in 6/71, so a 72? and has original 62,000 miles, convertible, new top in 82, not sure what overdrive is, gt etc. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

paul J
08-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Bought this MGB Sat. Looking to sell it soon so I'm fixing it up. Did the norm things, checks etc. restored engine, top but it has sat in a barn covered since 1984. I have fire to the pump, but not ticking when first loaded the gas, so I pulled the lines and the old gas was gummy, oily smell etc. Any one know how I should proceed to get it cleaned without removing it. Any tips. I put the gas treatment in and 5-6 gallons, whacked the pump a few times, blew out couple lines but still no tick tick. Can't wait to drive it. Had two midgets and a B in the 70s so its been a while since I owned one and fairly handy with tools. and could anyone tell me what I have, it was mfg in 6/71, so a 72? and has original 62,000 miles, convertible, new top in 82, not sure what overdrive is, gt etc. Your help is appreciated. Thanks
If the tank is gummed up you'll probably have to have it cooked, which means removing it from the car. As far as the pump not ticking, the points are probably bad, which means, removing the pump, rebuilding it or replacing it. If you opt not to clean the tank, (???), then make sure you put a new filter in the line before pumping any fuel to the carbs!

KimMG
08-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Check to make sure you have power going to the pump. Make sure the pump has a good ground connection.

randy30
08-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Carbs were rebuilt in 84 and work good. First thing I did was pull the hose from the filter so nothing could get in the carbs. The pump has power and good ground. But when I pulled the lines there it smelt and felf like oil until the new gas came in. But believe the pump is thick with it and points stuck etc. I'll remove and rebuild, pump new gas through tank and sytem into container to see how bad the tank is before hooking up to the filter again. Thanks for the tips and if someome has a by pass block fuel pump inexpensive let me know. I'll run with it until I get the pump built or find another. and use it later on as a backup with inline switch or something.

KimMG
08-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Your local chain auto parts store sells generic low pressure electric fuel pumps for less than fifty dollars.

randy30
08-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Thank you. Never thought of asking them. Saw a vedio about putting second block pump backup in a mgb, pretty cool to have an extra one.

Add your comment to this topic!