Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SU vs Weber

vintrace
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi fellow MGB enthusiast. Recently purchased a very nice 1970 MGB GT and just going through the growing pains with a new car. Last B I owned was 30 years ago so its been a while.
Have been driving this one for about a month and have been very pleased.
Recently saw an MGB with a very nice Weber 45 DCOE conversion. Is this just for competition or do they work well on the street. Does the Weber give up some low down power to the SU,s...? I would imagine the gas miles are similar if both types are well set up. Thanks in advance.

paul J
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi fellow MGB enthusiast. Recently purchased a very nice 1970 MGB GT and just going through the growing pains with a new car. Last B I owned was 30 years ago so its been a while.
Have been driving this one for about a month and have been very pleased.
Recently saw an MGB with a very nice Weber 45 DCOE conversion. Is this just for competition or do they work well on the street. Does the Weber give up some low down power to the SU,s...? I would imagine the gas miles are similar if both types are well set up. Thanks in advance.
Just slaping on a Weber isn't going to help much, if any. There are other things that should be done along with this modification. To me it's a waste of money. The carbs you have on the engine, I believe HS-4s, possably HIFs, which are both very good carbs and I would advise leaving them on. If their not working well, have them rebuilt. SU carbs, for some reason, that I haven't figured out yet, have a reputation for being a pain to keep in adjustment. That's not so. SUs are a very simple and excellant carb. It's just that some people who don't understand them, try and put them down rather than getting educated on their workings. If you were planing on spending around $3000 or more having the engine race ready, then I'd go with the Webers. JMHO. PJ

vintrace
08-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for that paul. Yesterday I picked up a pair of Gross valves and some gaskets. Took off the float tops and fitted valves,gaskets. One had been leaking due to float level being a mile out, Also balanced carbs. Well worth the trouble as someone had tightened the choke linkage up skewd and the choke was on slightly on one carb. Motor is now much crisper, and idles well. I have always been a Weber DCOE man and like them lots, just thought a single Weber would be easier to take care of but like you say the cars a treat on the SU's. Tell you what though there are a lot of tubes running off the carbs to canisters etc....looks a bit messy but I am sure thats the emissions deal. Cheers, Tony

paul J
08-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Thanks for that paul. Yesterday I picked up a pair of Gross valves and some gaskets. Took off the float tops and fitted valves,gaskets. One had been leaking due to float level being a mile out, Also balanced carbs. Well worth the trouble as someone had tightened the choke linkage up skewd and the choke was on slightly on one carb. Motor is now much crisper, and idles well. I have always been a Weber DCOE man and like them lots, just thought a single Weber would be easier to take care of but like you say the cars a treat on the SU's. Tell you what though there are a lot of tubes running off the carbs to canisters etc....looks a bit messy but I am sure thats the emissions deal. Cheers, Tony
Tony, Here's a little added help. It's a great site for LBCs. This is the library page and has a lot of information on repairing and restoring LBCs. You can opt off this page and go to the forums page and join the conversations.

http://www.mgexperience.net/library.php

Also, here's another forum that is one of the most active on the net. It has sections for all British cars and even non British cars. It's name is "The British Car Forum". Run extremely well by the owner with no bad language allowed, no politics and no arguing.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm

Oh I almost forgot, here's John Twist of University Motors, commenting on various MG problems and fixes on U Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jyVxsUYtKs

vintrace
08-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Many Thanks, I will give them a try
Cheers, Tony

Add your comment to this topic!