Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1987 735i power door and trunk lock problems

sam187st
08-13-2008, 03:26 AM
hi all

im new to all this, so if any body can help that would be great.i have a 1987 735i, its my first car. and i know nothing about fixing cars.my locks suddenly stopped working as they were(correctly).i went up to my door one day and only my driver side door would open when i turned the key. i cant open any of the doors besides driver side including the trunk.

whats the problem ive herd some suggestions like a fuse but its not that i checked all my fuses.i dont know how to trouble shoot this problem if it were a relay problem how can i find out?if its some kind of module problem how can i find out?

i cant even manually open the doors from the inside its crazy.i un hooked the actuator on the passenger side door so it can be opend for the mean time,i havent much money to fix the car, and i know these cars are expensive for parts and labor so im hoping theres a quick and cheap way to fix this if there is one, can someone tell me how i should approach this problem?.

one more thing, if its the actuator? how can i tell if its working or not??any way to test it?

thanks for any help

Bear
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
First try synchronizing the door locks: close all doors as well as trunk, then, put key in passengers door and turn it to about 110 degrees (lock position), next go and unlock the doors from the drivers side using your key. And see if this works (try it at lest twice before giving up). At worse case it could be the drivers side lock solenoid support bracket has cracked or broken and allowed the lock solenoid to sag and become non-aligned. f this is the case, it requires removing drivers door panel and welding the support bracket so the lock solenoid functions correctly, go to: http://bmwe32.masscom.net and look at the interior section for a good view of this repair.

sam187st
08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
man i just dont get nothing is working i cant open any of my doors or my trunk or my gas lid every thing is locked and wont budge?what am i to do?what kind of problem is this ?is it mechanicel,electricial,a short ,relays,modules,all of the above none of the above what can i do i need to open my car.i can only open the driver side with no problem but nothing else is responding. can any body put me on the right path to fixing this problem

Bear
08-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Go to www.roadfly.com and click on BMW forums and then the E32 site and ask the question there, or search the archives.

Add your comment to this topic!