Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Delivery problem

ljflarry1
07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a 78 MGB with an original SU fuel pump. I can hear the pump running but no fuel is getting to the filter and the pump runs continuosly. I found a crack in the hose running from the fuel tank to the pump and replaced it but that has not solved the problem. I would appreciate some advice as I am a novice.

Thanks

Scrapper
07-30-2008, 05:36 PM
i'm thinking your fuel pressure is low have you checked it. or gas relay..

Flash75
07-31-2008, 05:05 AM
This web site has some good fuel pump information.
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Clifton

KimMG
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I have a 78 MGB with an original SU fuel pump. I can hear the pump running but no fuel is getting to the filter and the pump runs continuosly. I found a crack in the hose running from the fuel tank to the pump and replaced it but that has not solved the problem. I would appreciate some advice as I am a novice.

Thanks

If you stick the inlet hose into a gas can, do you still have the same problem?
If you have a hole in the pickup tube, or the fitting to the hose, you will have the same problem as having a bad hose from the tank to the pump.

paul J
08-27-2008, 05:20 AM

Thanks
You didn't say if the car has been running or you just pulled it out of a barn. If your starting it for the first time in many years, then the whole fuel sysyem should be gone over. If it just happened and the car was running ok before, check for air leaks up stream of the pump, (cracked line, loose fitting, plugged suction screen), if that's ok, then check the pump. Just because you hear it running, dosen't mean it's working properly.

Add your comment to this topic!