Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New To Site Question

Eeek
06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Hello,
I used to own a 1968 MGB in the mid 70's, but since then have not seen many or owned any others. I now am interested in purchasing a 1972 at an upcoming auction in my area and had a couple questions before I re-aquainted myself with these great cars. I'm not sure what the going price is for a 1972 MGB in great condition, also was wondering why almost all the MGB's I've seen lately for sale rarely have over 70,000 miles on them? Are they hard to keep running? Is there something in particular I should look for before I place my bid? Thinking about all the fun I had with the old '68 I had, it's hard for me to understand why there aren't more miles on the MGB's out there. Anyone know if there are any weaknesses with them? On my old 68, the only problem I ever had with it was the rocker panels were rusted out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You!
...Mike...:confused:

Flash75
06-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Of course rust is still a big problem. The miles you see on a speedometer doesn't tell you much, speedometers break and get changed or they may have simply rolled over at 100K. The MG doesn't have any more problems than many other older cars. Keeping them running requires much more maintenance than newer cars. But rust is the big killer.

Clifton

paul J
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Of course rust is still a big problem. The miles you see on a speedometer doesn't tell you much, speedometers break and get changed or they may have simply rolled over at 100K. The MG doesn't have any more problems than many other older cars. Keeping them running requires much more maintenance than newer cars. But rust is the big killer.

Clifton
[/URL]
As Clifton said, rust is the major problem and it's one very costly mistake some folks overlook when purchasing a good looking MGB. Paint, as we know, will cover up a multitude of sins. To replace the rockers, sills, floor pans and dog legs is major and costly work. All requires cutting out the bad parts and welding in the new. Usually, if the rocker panels have been patched up or show rust out, the sills and dog legs are bad also. Use a magnet to check for Bondo filler if nothing is visable. If there,s a lot of Bondo, that's a bad message. JMHO
[URL="http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/iagree.gif";] (http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/iagree.gif)

Add your comment to this topic!