Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dead Battery & opening door

RikH_96
05-20-2008, 01:14 PM
I have a 1996 750il... Recently I had my battery go dead (the car had been sitting for 6 weeks while I was away). When I tried unlocking the driver door manually it wouldn't open. I could get into the trunk using the key... Once I hooked up the battery charger I could open the driver door using remote & manually... Is this normal? Also, I didn't have my plastic key with me but, would IT have opened the driver door when the battery was dead?:confused:
BTW... Great Forum

lincolnmaster80
05-21-2008, 10:33 AM
It is normal for a battery to go flat on one of these things, especially after a month and a half, as some devices still remain active, like the immobilizer for instance.

If you couldn't get it open via the manual way, try the other front door, as sometimes it'll work on one side but not the other.

If your battery was going flat on a regular basis, like if you let it sit for a day, then you might want to replace the ignition switch as that is usually the common culprit for battery drain. A failed switch won't shut off properly leaving more devices on than it should.

As for your plastic key, not completely sure what that is...:confused:

Bear
06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I have heard of people connecting a booster battery to the license plate light ad that gave enough power to open the door locks. Also hooking a battery to the starter (large cable and ground). On my '88 750 I made a manual release cable by taking braided wire, looping it around the hood release cable right at the forward release jaws and then routing it out near the drivers side headlight (with a finger loop).

Add your comment to this topic!