Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

recommended oil

240SX_89
03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
What kind of oil would you guys recommend I put in my car.
95 740i 170k miles

Thanks

lincolnmaster80
03-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Do read the manual for this, as there is a range of oils you can use, based on the time of year.

10w-30 is a pretty good one to use in summer time, year round if you wanted, though a 0w-xx is better in winter time uses. I used 10w-30 through -15 C winter and my car survived. My 1990 manual makes reference to special oils, which I have figured refers to synthetics and oil additives, and says shortly there after that they are to be used IN EMERGENCIES ONLY, and have the oil changed as soon as possible or at the nearest service station.

I don't recommend that you use a synthetic. You spend double the $$ only to double the oil change interval. When oil becomes old, it becomes old, PERIOD! Besides, what regular deisel engine oil can do for a deisel engine, will do 4x better than any synthetic for a petrolium engine. And yes, "deisel" engine oil IS safe for petro engines. In fact, Penzoil have changed their "Deisel Engine Oil" to "Long Life" oil...I found that rather interesting as it is perfectly safe to put it in a regular engine and people were thrown by the "Deisel Engine" designation.

BMW have come out with a list of "approved" synthetic oils within the last year or so, but I'd use that list on the 2006/07/08 BMW's.

USING SYNTHETICS MAKES NO DIFFERENCE...WHY SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING THAT DOENS'T HELP THE WAY PEOPLE SAY IT DOES. That's why they call it marketting. Salesmen twist the truths only to sell you something that you didn't really need in the first place...

Can you tell I don't like to use synthetics? :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!