Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you lift the engine out of MGB

ericsmgb
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I am trying to remove the engine on my 1971 MGB. Where do you hook the hoist at to pull it?

Flash75
12-15-2007, 08:23 AM
This link has some photos of one method.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49359967@N00/

The factory method was to use the two long rocker arm bolts. That works but you need to make a bracket from some angle iron, I tried to find a photo. Other methods are to use some straps or chains (old seat belts will work) under each end of the engine. If removing with the transmission the engine will need to be tilted for removal.

Clifton

leylandauto
02-04-2008, 10:29 AM
I have attached the chains from the leveler (if you do not have one, rent or get one) around the thermostat housing and the rear mainfold bolt. I put he front tires on 2x6's to raise it enough to get the crane under it as needed and put the rear wheels on ramps to get the angle in my favor. There are lots of ways to skin this cat. Many people use the valve cover studs (with the cover off). Definitley remove the engine tranny as a unit. It is easier in the long run.

paul J
02-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I am trying to remove the engine on my 1971 MGB. Where do you hook the hoist at to pull it?
As stated, the factory used the two rocker pedestal bolts, but they used a spreader bar that pulled straight up with no side strain. Remember, that was 30 plus years ago when the bolts were new. I use a front and rear head bolt with two "L" brackets and a hand crank sliding lifting bar. That way you have full control of tilting the engine and transmission to prevent any damage to the car or engine. Harbor Freight has them and they are not that expensive. PJ

Add your comment to this topic!