Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

77 MGB Clutch Woes

nsouciant
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey! Need advice. 3 weeks ago my car wouldn't go into gear - mechanic said clutch was the problem. Quoted $400-700 - Now 3 weeks later (still no car) he's telling me that the bill is $1200. Ouch! Does anyone know what this repair assuming the worst should cost. He's got the car and I'm stuck. HELP!!

Flash75
08-30-2007, 05:27 AM
Changing a clutch in the MGB requires engine removal so there is some labor involved. It would require around 4-6 hours to remove and replace the engine. If hydraulics are being replaced there is more labor involved, maybe 2 hours. Looking at a Moss catalog shows a clutch kit, new clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and flexible hose will cost around $350. Usually the flywheel should be refaced, around $30-$50.

You don't say what is included in the job so it's difficult to say how much it should cost. Shop rates vary in different places from around $40-$90 per hour.

Did you go to a shop that normally works on MG's? It would be interesting to know how the shop determined the clutch was bad? Not going into gear could be caused by the clutch hydraulics. That is easily checked by observing the slave cylinder push-rod travel when the clutch pedal is depressed, it should travel around 3/8" to 1/2". If it doesn't the hydraulics should be repaired before condemning the clutch.

I would ask for a list iof parts being replaced and the labot rate and time involved. Sounds like the shop thought it's drop the transmission, change the clutch and re-install the transmission and it's done. Not so with an MGB.

Good luck,

Clifton

nsouciant
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Thank you for your time and resonse - I'm on my way to do battle and I don't feel quite so lost. One problem that I was having with these guys was getting them to give me a breakdown. Thanks again! :) Donna

littlepear
01-11-2008, 05:17 AM
My first MGB started having trouble going into gear from a dead stop, and the car and the shift knob would vibrate horribly on the highway. It ended up being a worn U-Joint as I recall.

Add your comment to this topic!