Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

d15b vtech

countryboy17
08-27-2007, 02:33 PM
i just bought a car that has a d15b vtech.im trying to find out what it is because i did not think they made a 1.5 vtech motor.also it does not have a vtech valve cover.i read on a website that it was 3 stage vtech but i really dont know.so anyone that knows more about this motor please let me know thanks

CivicSpoon
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Not to be a jerk, but it's VTEC (no H). But there are 2 different D15B VTEC engines. There is the '92-'95 that is very similar to the '92-'95 Si & EX engine. And there is the '96+ 3-stage VTEC engine. You'll need to find out what year the engine is. The quickest way are to look at the plug(s) on the distributor. If there is 1 plug, then it's the 3-stage, if there are 2 then it's the '92-'95 one. I've also heard that the 3-stage vtec engines have to vtec solenoids, so you could check for them on the tranny side of the block. Also on the front/center of the block the date it was manufactured will be imprinted, you may have to take off your heat shield to see it. It will look something like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/CivicSpoon/engineyear.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!