Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89Crx B16a problems

CivicCRX89
08-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I have an 89 crx si with a b16a motor swap. Recently i was driving, and as i was driving my car just bogged down, almost like it just totally got cut off from giving gas to the engine and stalled on me. It would start up for a few more times after that but eventually it wouldnt. During the few times it would start again i was able to drive for about a minute to two minutes b4 it would yet again bog down and stall. Iv done a bunch of work on it to figuer it out but im stumped. Can anyone give me any pointers or opinions on what they might think the problem is. So far trying to fix the problems iv replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the main relay. Im starting to lean toward my fuel injection, the fuel rail, my injectors and fuel pump on maybe being the problem. Can one of these be what it is??

CivicSpoon
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key over? Check your plugs, and then check to see if you're getting spark. Pull out the plugs, touch them to a good grounded point, and have someone crank it over.

CivicCRX89
08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Its hard to tell i cant really hear the pump cause the cars loud due to the exahust system. I will def check my spark plugs and see if one isnt sparking. If one isnt sparking wouldnt that cause me to only run on 3 cylinders? if so then its not that cause i know what the feels and sounds like, I know mainly that, that happens if a distributor wire comes unpluged from the cap. Thanks for helpin out dude if you have any other thoughts or ideas let me no.

ByonSho
08-16-2007, 05:20 AM
If you can drive it for 2 minutes your fuel pump is coming on, but after it stalls remove the OUTLET line from the fuel filter, put it in a bottle and turn the key 2 clicks, but don't try to start it. if gas goes inthe bottle your filter is good, if none, then replace your fuel filter. That is most likelly your problem if it starts then stops.

CivicCRX89
08-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Yea i changed the fuel filter all ready it still doing it. I installed a switch when I bought the car, that I connected to my fuel pump, so I can turn it off at night because people steal cars around here like crazy. My cuz had a 93 bubble back with motor swap and someone stole it from our crib, they drove right by us in it and we chased the asshole down. So at night when im done driving the car I turn it off. I'm thinking the switch might be bad and is shorting out on me and turning off the pump.

CivicCRX89
08-27-2007, 03:53 AM
So turns out that the problem was the switch i had wired to my fuel pump for cutoff. The conection was shitty so thats why my car would bog down. My fuel pump was just being turned off this hole time while i was driving. The most simplest problem ever, has cause me about a month and a half worht off head scratching. Thanks for the help people who gave me pointers.

Add your comment to this topic!