Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing A kingpin (swivel pin)

jbrguitar
07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi all, This is my first use of this site so hopefuly one of you bright chaps cn point me in the right direction. The left side kingpin is worn out on the bottom, The bushing has excessive play and the kingpain must be replace. My problem is how do I get it apart.

The top nut has been removed but I cant get the Trunion off. What is the trick? And when I do get it off what parts do I need to get to repair it. bushings, bearings, rubber caps etc??

Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

Flash75
07-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Rebuilding your own kingpin assembly requires access to a reamer. Most people exchange them for a rebuilt assembly. The Moss price for the reamer is over $200. You will also need some bushing drivers and a good vise.

If you still wish to remove the trunion try a liberal soaking with PB Blaster or some other release agent, don't use WD-40. Allow it to sir a few hours or overnight. Clamp the lower end of the assembly in a vise use a steel bar or long tool through the trunion and try breaking it loose. You may need to apply some heat with a torch.

Most people simply order a parts kit from one of the major parts suppliers. It's hard to say exactly which parts you will need. That best determined by a close inspection of the parts for wear. Usually all bushings and seals will need replacing. The Moss catalog has good parts identification.
http://www.mossmotors.com/
Click on MGB and follow the links to front suspension.
I have good parts and service from the B Hive at reasonable prices.
http://www.thebhive.com/index.html
They have some individual parts as well as rebuild kits.

Hope this information helps.

Clifton

jbrguitar
07-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Rebuilding your own kingpin assembly requires access to a reamer. Most people exchange them for a rebuilt assembly. The Moss price for the reamer is over $200. You will also need some bushing drivers and a good vise.

If you still wish to remove the trunion try a liberal soaking with PB Blaster or some other release agent, don't use WD-40. Allow it to sir a few hours or overnight. Clamp the lower end of the assembly in a vise use a steel bar or long tool through the trunion and try breaking it loose. You may need to apply some heat with a torch.

Most people simply order a parts kit from one of the major parts suppliers. It's hard to say exactly which parts you will need. That best determined by a close inspection of the parts for wear. Usually all bushings and seals will need replacing. The Moss catalog has good parts identification.
http://www.mossmotors.com/
Click on MGB and follow the links to front suspension.
I have good parts and service from the B Hive at reasonable prices.
http://www.thebhive.com/index.html
They have some individual parts as well as rebuild kits.

Hope this information helps.

Clifton

Thank you so much for your advice. If I could get the thing apart I was planning to get that Kingpin kit sold by Victoria british (pg#137 item #18) .I have all the other trunion bushings and pins etc. Will I still need a reammer and those bushing drivers? It does sound a lot simpler to just get the entire assemby but I only need 1 and both Moss and Vic British sell them in pairs. I have checked B hive yet as he is closed for a week.

Thank again for your help

Bruce

Flash75
07-05-2007, 12:27 PM
With the kingpin kit you will need the reamer and something to drive out the old and press/drive in the new bushings, you may be able to get a machine shop to press out and install the bushings. The upper and lower bushings are not the same diameter, most machine shops don't have the tools to align ream them

H. P. Imports in High Point, NC rebuilds MGB kingpin assemblies, or he did, it's been about 2 years since I have seen him. You can give Scott a call and see if he will do one side for you. If you want to call his phone number is;
336-884-1455. Email; HP Imports@webtv.net

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!