Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

MGB torque question

jazzydo
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I won an 1980 MGB Limited Edition. I am having a problem with it leaking around the oil filter adapter. How much do I torque the square filter and oil filter adapter down?
Jazzydo

Flash75
06-22-2007, 04:56 AM
Is the leak around the base of the filter or is is from around the oil filter adapter to block? I don't know what you are mean by square filter, explain?
Oil filters are normally screwed on hand tight. The instructions should be on the filter. The oil filter to block adapter uses a sealing ring in a recessed grove in the block. The center bolt attaching it to the block has a sealing ring around the bolt head. Either place can leak. Tightening probably will not stop the leak. Try replacing the seals. Make sure the old seal is removed from the grove. Don't use a sealer on the new seal. The center bolt torque specifications aren't in the manual but the old style filter using the same type ring specified a torque of 15 lb. ft.

Clifton

jazzydo
06-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Is the leak around the base of the filter or is is from around the oil filter adapter to block? I don't know what you are mean by square filter, explain?
Oil filters are normally screwed on hand tight. The instructions should be on the filter. The oil filter to block adapter uses a sealing ring in a recessed grove in the block. The center bolt attaching it to the block has a sealing ring around the bolt head. Either place can leak. Tightening probably will not stop the leak. Try replacing the seals. Make sure the old seal is removed from the grove. Don't use a sealer on the new seal. The center bolt torque specifications aren't in the manual but the old style filter using the same type ring specified a torque of 15 lb. ft.

Clifton

Thank you! Thank you! You are the only person who has been able to tell me anything about this.
I am sorry I ment the seal not the square filter. Lost my mind for a moment. Kind of like when I bought this car. LOL!!! It appears to leaking around the seal at the oil filter adapter, not the oil filter itself. My dad has replaced the seals. He told me he puts the oil filter on by tighting by hand.
Judy Ann

Add your comment to this topic!