Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition

Texture
06-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I have a 89 Ford Good Times Conversion Van. The ignition turns all the way and unlocks the steering wheel, turns on power but doesn`t unlock shifter or start engine. Is it the ignition switch thats bad or a dropped pin, etc. I have pulled the steering wheel and ignition switch but can`t figure out what is wrong:banghead:

rivguy
08-04-2007, 09:26 PM
first - does the theft light prove out ok. there is a fuse that blows and kills the pats module and cluster. the cluster controls the interlock on some years and the pats will prevent the engine from turning.

carlos80
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Not sure on this but I don't think 89 s had PATS. however your problem might be a small piece(forget what its called) that the ignition cyl activates thats responsible for pushing a rod that then moves the ignition switch all the way down to the start position. Turn the ignitioon on and manually with a screwdriver jump start the car at starter solenoid if this works then your problem is defenitely that one piece.

rivguy
08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
the actuator carlos refers to is known to cause problems - sometimes you can get the vehilce to start by lowering the tilt wheel all the way down and trying to start the engine - don't rely on this test 100% to rule out the actuator but depending on how it breaks you might be able to start the vehilce

Add your comment to this topic!