Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

d16z6 Dohc

sorend16z6
03-31-2007, 01:40 AM
hey

i just messed up my sohc head and i was wondering if it is possible to put a 1.6l dohc head on my d16z6 engine. and if there are any benefits from doing so?

CivicSpoon
03-31-2007, 11:25 AM
No, there's no DOHC head that will work. And even if you could there'd be very little benefit to it, unless you were going forced induction or or an aggressive all motor build. In those cases, the benefit would be being able to adjust the valve operation timing seperately.

sorend16z6
04-01-2007, 11:02 PM
hey thanks for the reply.

I have another question. i dont know what will benefit me more rebuliding my d16z6 (125 hp) or buying a d15b (135 hp) that is already rebuilt. I want to put more work into my engine just want to know which will be better off with a turbo and to get sooped up. which will give me more power in the long run.

CivicSpoon
04-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Probably the Z6, just from the slight bit of added displacement; but not by much.

Schister66
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
if you're planning to turbo it, you have a long way to go.....its not as easy or as cheap as most people think

sorend16z6
04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
as i said before i F'd up my engine. i dont want to spend too much money because im a student and i need the money that i make. however i now have a reason to get another engine or rebuilt the one i already have and put some extras in it.

I've seen a couple of b16's and b18's

also have thought of rebuilding and turboing my d16

what do you guys think will be easier and save more money.

im gonna be doing all this my self cause i work at a customizing shop and get some help from the guys there but, they dont know which is gonna be better for me.

thanks for all the help.:bigthumb:

CivicSpoon
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Rebuilding the d16z6 and putting together a custom turbo kit will be better and cheaper than a swap. Just make sure you do it right and get it tuned, because you'll definently want it to be as reliable as possible.

sorend16z6
04-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Rebuilding the d16z6 and putting together a custom turbo kit will be better and cheaper than a swap. Just make sure you do it right and get it tuned, because you'll definently want it to be as reliable as possible.

a friend of mine said that i need to buy a turbo crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, rods, ecu, get my block and head machiened, and then start putting together a turbo.

is that all necesarry?

what are necesary and what isnt for me to rebuilt my d16 and turbo it up.

and not run into problems?

again thanks for all the help.:thumbsup:

Schister66
04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
well i wouldnt listen to your friend.....he really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. You could do a piston/rod combination and do various machine work like getting the head ported or even getting the block sleeved, but none of that is necessary unless you want a good amount of power....i've seen stock D16Z6 blocks hold nearly 400whp; however, most people stay under the 240whp mark just to be safe.

Your best bet is to check out both www.honda-tech.com and www.turbod16.com with the latter of the two being your best bet since it is strictly D series stuff. I am a member on both of the sites and have been for a long time. Oh, another site to check out is www.homemadeturbo.com they will teach you how to make a good turbo setup for less money than you may think possible.

It does take time, effort and money to build a good, reliable setup. I haven't even built my engine yet and i'm at nearly $5k! Good luck!

mellowboy
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
well i wouldnt listen to your friend.....he really doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. You could do a piston/rod combination and do various machine work like getting the head ported or even getting the block sleeved, but none of that is necessary unless you want a good amount of power....i've seen stock D16Z6 blocks hold nearly 400whp; however, most people stay under the 240whp mark just to be safe.

Your best bet is to check out both www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com) and www.turbod16.com (http://www.turbod16.com) with the latter of the two being your best bet since it is strictly D series stuff. I am a member on both of the sites and have been for a long time. Oh, another site to check out is www.homemadeturbo.com (http://www.homemadeturbo.com) they will teach you how to make a good turbo setup for less money than you may think possible.

It does take time, effort and money to build a good, reliable setup. I haven't even built my engine yet and i'm at nearly $5k! Good luck!

Agreed. Perfect links he provide and definitely worth researching on. Heres another advice. You say you're a student correct? I'd say leave all that modifying stuff alone for now and concentrate on finishing your school. It's not worth putting your money in your car while you're trying to have a successful education. You can modify your car later. Trust me, I went through this and actually still going through it since I'm still finishing up school. Just a suggestion. :)

Schister66
04-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm a student now...i'm going to school for psychology and i'm in my second year of the program. If you're willing to work hard and work smart, you can make more than enough money to pay for your school and still have enough left over for your toys. I look at it like, i have a $15k car, it is a turbo Honda, but its the same amount of money whether i would have bought a newer car for that price or my 99 GSR and done $7k worth of work to it....

In the summer i work road construction and in the winter i assemble Bikes at Walmart (for now...i want to get on at a bike shop, but needed experience first plus Walmart pays well and is easy). You CAN do it if you try...

sorend16z6
04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
hey thanks alot you guys. ima check out those links and see how it goes.

Add your comment to this topic!