Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1974 MGB Won't Start again

AustinMG
09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
My 1974 MGB won't start again. I was driving it last night and while driving it sputtered and spit, the tachometer went up and down wildly whilel sputtering. It died as I was driving. When I came to a stop I turned the key and it turned over, but wouldn't start. I tried again and it started, but after driving for a minute, it sputtered again and died again while driving. Now it sits and I turn the key and nothing. Dead. Any thoughts?
Austin

Bluetick
01-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Try changing the fuel filter. Sounds like trash in the gas. Also, you may have water in the gas. The fact that it started once leads one to a fuel problem, not ignition if I had to guess. If water is in the gas, you'll need top clear it out of the system. If this isn't the problem, do you have a spare fuel pump? It might be the problem. I used to carry one around all the time when I had my "B". Had to replace it twice. Hope this helps - Bluetick

KimMG
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Bluetick-
It was a faulty electrical connection he repaired over a year ago.

Lmerfudd
01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
The same thing happened to me a couple years ago. my alternator was the problem then. did you notice if the lights were getting dim?

Add your comment to this topic!