Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1974 MG Won't Start

AustinMG
08-23-2006, 09:33 PM
I recently purchased a '74 MGB and it has run perfectly, but today it didn't start. I turned the key, heard the fuel pump clicking, but it didn't turn over....just silence. I was able to push it and start it in reverse by popping the clutch, but when I turned it off it didn't start again. I have noticed at night when I turn the lights on or the turn signals, that the red ignition light if faintly red and flashes a bit when the lights or turn signals are functioning.
Please let me know what things to check.
Thank you very much.
Austin

KimMG
08-24-2006, 01:12 PM
First you need to check to see if your battery is holding a charge. Use a meter to check the battery, voltage should be about 12.5 volts.
Check to make sure all the connections to the battery are clean and secure.
Make sure the ground cable from the battery to the body has a secure, clean connection at the body.
Make sure the connections at the starter are clean and secure.
Check the connections to the alternator to make sure they are secure and clean from corrosion.
Check the alternator belt.
Check the output of the alternator. When you measure it with a meter, it should read about 14.5 volts

After checking the above and you are not able to isolate the problem check back.

AustinMG
08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Thank you for your response, KimMG. I don't have a meter, so I will have to wing it and check all my connections. The battery seems fine, so I'll check the alternator connections and starter connections, and check back.
Thanks again!

KimMG
08-25-2006, 06:01 AM
"The battery seems fine"? I have seen batteries that have an output of less than 12 volts that seemed fine, but weren't.

You can take your battery and alternator to many of the chain auto parts stores and they can test them for you. Some places can even test them in the car. This is usually a free service.

Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive meter for about $10-.

If your alternator is the culprit, there are a few low cost options available as oppose to the original lucas alternator. If your battery is bad, or the connections to it, it can cause your alternator to work overtime and burnout.

After checking the charging system, then you will have to check to see if the starter relay is good. The starter relay was wired in two different ways for the '74 model year, so you will need to post what color wires are connected to it. To test the relay you will need a meter or a test light.

If the relay is good, the charging system is good, and all the connections are good, then the only thing left is the starter.

AustinMG
08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Thank you, KimMG. I'll check the battery and connections again and see what happens. I was able to push start it the other day and it started right up. Would that mean the starter is good or no?
Thanks very much.
Austin

AustinMG
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi KimMG
I got the car started this afternoon. I went underneath and cleaned off the connections to the starter. As you can imagine, it had oil and residue all over it. After doing that, it started right up.
Thank you for all your help! I will refer to the forum and you for any future MGB insights.
Austin

KimMG
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm glad it was an easy fix. To answer your other question, push starting bypasses the starter motor. If it was practical to push start a car, you wouldn't need to have a starter motor installed.

AustinMG
08-25-2006, 05:20 PM
KimMG
I'm glad this was an easy one too. I have owned 5 MGB's since 1978, the longest being a '75 I have now and am selling in favor of this '74 I bought in June. I've owned the '75 for 26 years and have been relatively lucky with it and I tinker to a degree, but electrical stuff is always a struggle for me.
Thanks again for your help!
Austin

Add your comment to this topic!