Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New radio in an old car

MGjaybird
08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi. New here, and of course, a question straight off. A couple months ago we completed a 4 month full restore (rotisserie) on a '66 MGB. The car is perfect, but I need my radio! Problem is, I want to keep the car as original-looking as possible, so no garish speakers carved into the doors and firewalls, no high tech AM/FM/CD/MP3 radio mounted in the dash.

And yes, I know all the arguments about the sweet sound of the engine revving and the exhaust. Putting that aside, I have couple questions.

1--I remember hearing there is a 'modern' radio you can install inside the original, using the original front. Anyone know anything about this and where I could find one?

2--I'm not so concerned about where to put the radio. I'm thinking of mounting it under the dash, passenger side, or the extra battery box. What concerns me more is the placement of the speakers. So I can actually hear the radio top down 60 or 70 mph. But also, without hacking up the car. I wonder if they could be 'hung' under the dash on either side?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

KimMG
08-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi, and welcome

There have some people who installed the speakers in boxes that are held in place with velcro on the back shelf. For security, they will install the speakers with plugs so that they can easily be disconnected and locked in the trunk. On other cars I have seen small speakers attached to the underside of the dash. The speakers are mounted in small plastic boxes that are attached to the underside of the dash with a u-shaped bracket.

Has your car been converted to negative ground? If yes, then mounting a stereo head unit will be easy. You can hang it under the dash on the passenger side, or if it has a remote control, you can mount it in the extra battery box or the trunk.

Here's a thread about modern radios with a vintage look
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?1,396624,396653#msg-396653

I like listening to the radio while I am driving around town (can't really hear on the freeway with the top down), or vacuuming the car or hanging out some place like the beach. I have a RB, so I installed a modern Clarion deck in the factory location and put the new speakers where the dealer put them, in the doors.

Firm
09-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Janel.....guess who :D .....looks like were both new here

Deniz
09-13-2006, 12:35 AM
im not new! :D

Add your comment to this topic!