Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Restoring 64 MGB

David64MGB
07-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I am starting the long delayed restoration of my 1964 MGB. Me and the car are roughly the same age and I first drove it when I was 16. However, it hasn't moved under it's own power since 1984. Garaged ever since.

I have my old Haynes manual and Moss catalog, any other reference materials that would be of use? Are their parts suppliers in Canada? Is there anyone else on the board in Saskatchewan?

Car is in surprisingly good shape. All the rubber is gone, but little rust and corrosion. Everything inside looks pretty good. Will be removing every single component and repairing and replacing as required. My 14 year old daughter wants to drive it when she gets her license.

Cheers,
David

Flash75
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
David; You should have the Lindsay Porter book, "MGB Purchase and restoration Guide". If you plan to keep your car original you may want to get a copy of the, "Original MGB" by Anders Ditlev Clausager. It isn't a how to book but it describes how the car should be if you wish to keep it original. You can order the Books through Amazon.com or other book stores. I cannot answer the question about parts sources in Canada, I'm in the US. Good luck on your restoration.

Cheers, Clifton

jdemgb
07-24-2006, 07:54 PM
David, you may also want to get the Bentley workshop manual for your car (available through Moss), and you might want to get the technical publications CD from Heritage (also available at Moss: http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=48439 )

I like the CD because they have all the owners manuals as well as workshop manuals, and are much more specific to your year model car.

John

dandi
08-31-2006, 09:46 AM
David, you and I are on the same track...! I have a '65 that I bought in 1999 and have recently re-started on it. I am trying to refurbish as many of the original parts that I can, as I want it to have some 'patina' when I finish. I don't plan on it being a trailer queen.

Dan D
http://dans65b.blogspot.com/

David64MGB
08-31-2006, 10:14 AM
I looked at your blog, you have been doing this for a while.

Yes, we definitely are following the same path. I have yanked the engine and transmission and everything else in the engine compartment. Yesterday I started rebuilding the carburators. They are very nice little mechanisms. Bought a carb kit from Moss.

I want to have the drive train rebuilt over the winter. There is nothing actually wrong with anything, so it is just a case of cleaning and replacing anything worn or rubber. Everything single piece of rubber in the car has disintegrated. Starting at Christmas I want to start welding in new steel in the body so that I can get the engine into a nicely painted engine compartment next spring. The interior and exterior finishing will have to wait until later in 2007. I am going to do the same seat refurb that you did. I like the black leather with red piping. It will have red carpet to go with the tarten red exterior.

Should be ready for the local show and shine in 2008.

dandi
09-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Looks like we're going for the same solor combination, David! It is a classic look for sure. I will be looking into the body situation this winter - need to decide whether I am going to try and tackle it myself or farm it out. Buying a complete welding set-up would probaby be cheaper than having it done, but it's a question of whether I want to get involved with that....

Dan

Firm
09-12-2006, 08:31 PM
If you haven't already post at britishcarforum.com you'll both fit in perfectly :D

cougarconvertible
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi David. I'm from Prince Albert, and just recently purchased a 1967 MGB, who I have named LoLa (lots of love always). She is need of repair, runs, but needs interior and suspension help. Where do you live ? My name is Deb.

tfcass
12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
David;
Good luck in the project... I am fortunate that here in NJ, Moss is about 10 miles away. I have been to Alberta a couple of times for work. Started looking and found several British car clubs in both Edmonton and Calgary...try joing a club there in Sa... Good networking capability.
Good luck. I have a 74 chrome bumper and this is my 5th MG... Masochist!Actually this one is extremley reliable. But retirement may force its' sale. Need something more practical as the company car is but a memory !!!

Add your comment to this topic!