Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inexperienced and foolish

blackballplayer
06-09-2006, 12:54 AM
:banghead: Call me a fool for thinking I could have someone rebuild a 1972 MGB for cheap. I tried three mechanics before I found one who I thought could do the job for under $15,000. He's now at the $29,000 mark. I told him I don't have the last $10,000, it was a surprise to me. I mean, I thought he was almost done about six months ago and he just got a hold of me a few days ago saying he needed money to keep working. Being totally unfamiliar with restorations I can't tell whether to weep or fight. I obviously can't come up with the money and have to figure out some other way out of this. Any advice? More details can follow.

On the other hand and on a positive note, I was able to get someone to spend about three months on my Mercedes station wagon and it runs quite fine...for about $10,000.

Flash75
06-11-2006, 04:42 AM
If you don't have a contract with some type of price estimate and details of how cost overruns are to be handled you may not have any recourse. If you left the car with him on a handshake deal it will be hard to prove what was promised. I would assume most of the cost is the mechanic's time. Very difficult to prove. Any restoration can take lots of time.

It may be worth seeing a lawyer for a legal opinion.

Good luck.

Clifton

blackballplayer
06-11-2006, 01:17 PM
:banghead: Well, if I do have no recourse I at least have a beautiful car. I know the job is worth it in the long run, it was just the lack of warning that shocked me. Would anyone have any ideas on how to make money from having such a now very expensive vehicle?

dandydon
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
:banghead: Well, if I do have no recourse I at least have a beautiful car. I know the job is worth it in the long run, it was just the lack of warning that shocked me. Would anyone have any ideas on how to make money from having such a now very expensive vehicle?

Well, I hate to say this but I'm also no expert on car value but just to inform you that my brother has a 1969 MGC restored to better than original condition at a cost of over $27,000 and was told that he would NEVER recoup his money. Although the market for any restored car can change overnight I doubt you could seriously expect to sell it for any where near the price you'll pay for restoration. My brother has resigned himself to the fact that he either has to own this car forever or sell it for what he can get. Seems he's wisely chosen to keep it and enjoy it!

blackballplayer
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Understood. The things we do for cars.

Add your comment to this topic!