Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advice on Purchasing Excursion

jarhead_vet
02-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm new here and would like to ask some questions. I am going to buy a Ford Excursion and have about 30k to spend. I would like a diesel but will settle for a v10 if I must. I must have a 4x4.

1. Which year, engine, trim, etc. would you recommend for my price range?

2. What are some gas mileage numbers (real-world) I can expect from the v10, the 6.0 and the 7.3?

Thanks for your time.

Patrick

TugHillTina
02-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I personally don't have a excursion but my husband owns a 01 F250 powerstoke so they are quite similar. We say really search for the diesel, we get between 18-22 miles to the gallon. The blackbird (F250) tows everything with ease and it is amazing how many times you end up having to tow something. The diesel engine is built with heavier components that really should last for a very long time. I don't know about your area but diesel here seems to be higher than premium. Some people like the sound of the engine, others don't. Good Luck, Tina

6speed
02-23-2006, 11:50 AM
my parents have the v10 excursion. the most it EVER sees (even driving only highway) is 13mpg. the sticker on the window said under the epa stuff 'see salesman' for the fuel efficiency part..probably so he can bs you

MagicRat
02-28-2006, 09:10 PM
If you buy a gasoline-powered one, really negotiate hard on the price.

These trucks are as popular as plutonium on the used car market.
People simply cannot sell them, and their resale values have plummited like a rock. You can pick up a used one for a fraction of the new price.

Around here, decent 3-4 year old gas Excursions can be bought for about $15K, although some asking prices go much higher.

If you see an advertised price on a private sale, you can cut $ thousands off. People are selling these things privatly because dealers will not accept them in on trade or will not give anything like a decent trade-in value.

Such desperation means you can get a great deal, if you look around and haggle.

Of course, the diesel engine versions are worth thousands more, but the money saved buying a gasser instead can buy a lot of gasoline.

dougger222
03-11-2006, 11:44 AM
If you put two similiar Excursions side by side the diesel equiped version could sell for $5-10K more than the gas version. The gas versions depreciate very quickly mostly due to horrible fuel mileage. People say the V8 is underpowered and will get worse mileage than the V10.

$30,000 is a good amount to spend on a X. You could either get a pretty new loaded gasser for that amount of money or a low mileage diesel version.

Try to find a 03 7.3 Excursion as it's the last of the tried and true 7.3's. About a year ago I was thinking about trading in the Excursion for a newer one and found a few 03's with under 36K miles priced from $28-30K all fully loaded.

Good luck!!!

Add your comment to this topic!