Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4X2 or 4X4?

rstuehmer
01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Hello All,

I will be buying a 04 Diesel X soon and can't decide between 2by or 4by. I will be mainly pulling our 25ft travel trailer over the road. 2by would be cheaper to buy, probably better gas milage, less mechanics to wear out/breakdown.

We don't plan on doing any real off-roading but it might be nice to have the option with the 4by should the opportunity arise. I have had one 4by and it never made it into 4WD save a couple of snow storms. I now live in Florida so snow isn't an issue and we are fair weather campers. I do have a desire to do an several more Western trips (mountains in good weather) and an Alaska drive.

So, X owners; what say you?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to comment

FutureXOwner

dougger222
01-31-2006, 08:18 AM
The resale value with the 4x4 is much better than the 4x2. Go on Ebay and look at buy it now prices and compare the two options. Living in Minnesota 4x4 is a must but in Florida you could get away with 4x2.

Fuel mileage may be a little better with a 4x2 but not much since the Excursion has a straight front axle in 4x4 option which only turns when 4x4 high or low is activated. If you run with your hubs locked you will get 1-2 mpg less than if unlocked. In 50K miles of ownership my wifes diesel X has gotten as high as 20 mpg a couple times and averages no less than 15 mpg which is great for a 8,000 lb suv!

G Lube
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Its mostly a preference on your part. I personally think you are better off with a 4X2 since you live in florida and almost never drive in the snow. A 4X2 will also allow the trailer to sit lower, so that it will travel better. I don't think you really need 4X4 so save yourself some money.

Gary

directory
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
a 4x4 will allow for more grip on road when hauling. the height of the 4x4 shouldn't be an issue as they have special neck drop-downs to allow for this.

a 4x4 as better resale. gas mileage shouldn't be an issue when your not pulling, as 4 wheel drive won't normally be engaged.

Add your comment to this topic!