Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Superchargers

fgwebb
01-17-2006, 12:47 PM
I'd like to get some feedback from anyone who has owned and driven 1800 cc MG with and without a supercharger.

a. Is it worth it?
b. Why and why not
c. Would you do it again?
d. what key things should also be considered?
e. does your car have Overdrive?

thanks

CraigFL
01-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I've only driven mine without a supercharger..... My opinion is that the supercharger changes the whole concept of a classic car. I like my 79 just the way it is. That said, I would like to build a MGB with a more powerful engine just to see how it would go. My choice would be the Ford ZETEC engine which can be had easily in trims up to 200HP at 7000RPM which I think would be a better fit for the chassis. But I do understand the bolt-on convenience of the Moss kit.

MGBMod
02-20-2006, 06:24 AM
I have done the hard yards. And speaking from experience...unless you have thousands of $ to waste.... forget it!

jaguargeo
03-27-2006, 11:47 AM
One of my customers wanted more power but not an engine swap, I had rebuilt it a little less than a year ago. He gets the Moss catalogs and wanted a blower. I really don't like to mod customer's cars without trying the mod first on my own cars. But.....

My '68, with OD, has been breathed on to the tune of ~140HP. I love it but want more HP, like ~250. I had looked at blowing it, I would get ~200HP max, and here is what I discerned. If you want to blow it, take $4.5K and DIY, adding the aluminum head. So.....

I did that for my customer, the head had been added at the rebuild. If someone else is doing it, add another $500 t0 $1K. It was a project but when I got it dialed in, it was sweet. The car was fast and sounded good. Different though. However, it is not a bolt-on drive-away project. And it didn't meet MY HP target.

I decided to take my money and buy a V8 that weighs the same and will produce 250HP reliably all day long. Plus FI appeals to me. I went the BOP/Rover route and am building said engine right now. Do you know how much those heads don't weigh? It's a bolt-in for the rubber bumper cars and easy mods for the chrome bumper cars.

I expect I'll have no more than $2.5K in the whole project when it is said and done. That includes the FI ECU and components. I anticipate 250HP, easily 20+MPG and better engine longevity due to the FI.

Will I do blow another MGB for someone? You bet!

Add your comment to this topic!