Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

UNBLIEVABLE--7,280 miles on MGB

GVG
11-13-2005, 09:56 PM
I have inhereted my late brothers 1976 MGB. The car was in MINT condition with 7,280 miles when he stored it in his garage 16 years ago. The car still has the 1990 licence plate. Over the years I tried to get him to drive it but for some reason he never listened. Even after we both joined a British car club he only talked about driving the car again. Over the years we both had British cars, he had MG's and I had several Triumphs. Being a Tool & Die Maker and a Mechanic I know what has to be done to the car. Here is my question: I live in Alabama and when a car reaches 10 years of age the new title comes back (mileage exempt), and this will be hard to disprove should I ever decide to sell the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated

KimMG
11-16-2005, 11:14 PM
What's the question?

GVG
11-17-2005, 11:13 PM
What's the question?
What can I do to have proof that the car "today" has 7,280 miles? When the new title comes back it will appear that the cars odometer has exceeded its mechanical limit, thus having over 100,000 miles.

Flash75
11-18-2005, 05:36 AM
The mileage certification on titles in most states is primarily to hopefully prevent odometer rollback in used cars. In most states after 10 years the mileage certification is exempt. If the mileage is on the title, that wouldn't prove the mileage is correct. If you have no maintenance records such as annual vehicle inspections you have no way to prove the mileage is correct. Take it to a garage and have them write up a work order and be sure the miles is listed on the work order. Do that a few times to establish a few records. I don't think AL requires a vehicle inspection. You have a 76, it's not the most desirable MGB due to the rubber bumpers and lowered power due to emissions. In my opinion it has too many miles to be considered a museum piece. If I were in your position I would enjoy driving it and be thankful my brother willed it to me an not worry about it's market value. When it comes time to sell condition will be more important than the odometer reading. My 2 cents.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!