Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1979 electrical question

jason_77
10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I recently bought a 79 MGB and there are some issues with the electrical system. I bought the haynes and a larger wireing diagram. and found that the car shouldnt be running since alot of the wires are not connected as they should be. I was wondering if anyone has ever bought the main wiring harness from victoria british and what actually came with it ie. is it all the wires under the hood? and what was the quality of these items
Thanks
jason
also how much of a pain was it to intall. I am good at reading schematics but i am all thumbs when it comes to mechanical issues

KimMG
10-22-2005, 12:06 AM
You may find the Bentley schematic better than the Haynes. advanceautowire.com has some redrawn (Bentley) wiring schematics in color that you can print. I like printing them out because I can mark them up as check each circuit without destroying my original copy in my repair manual. Some people have had enlarged copies made and laminated at Kinko's so they can use eraseable markers on them.
britishwiring.com and advanceautowire.com have had good things said about them. Worth checking out.
Before replacing the wiring harness, spend a little time cleaning up all the connections (including grounds) and find out what has been changed.
If you do replace the harness, plan on spending a weekend doing it. (swearing and skinned knuckles are part of the job)
mgbexperience.com and britishcarforum.com may have some articles on upgrading the wiring for the headlights with relays.

Add your comment to this topic!