Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1978 Mgb Distributor

stevedal
10-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know how to find out what part(s) of a distributor have gone bad? We tried a different distributor and that was the problem. The rotor was spinning out of control. I would rather not have to buy a whole new distributor if only a small part of the one I have has gone.

Flash75
10-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Do you mean the rotor and the points cam are spinning or is it just the rotor spinning. If only the rotor you can replace it. There a tab inside the rotor that should engage a slot in the top of the distributor cam. If the cam is spinning you will need to buy a distributor unless you know how to disassemble, inspect and repair a distributor. If you need parts other than points, rotor and cap you may not be able to find what you need. I assume you have a Haynes MGB manual or some other repair manual if you need to disassemble the distributor. Let us know exactly what is spinning and perhaps we can help you.

Clifton

stevedal
10-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know how to find out what part(s) of a distributor have gone bad? We tried a different distributor and that was the problem. The rotor was spinning out of control. I would rather not have to buy a whole new distributor if only a small part of the one I have has gone.
Thank you for your response. The shaft is wiggly inside the housing so I assume I need to replace the distributor. The numbers on the side of the housing are as follows: 41813A 45DM 518 LUCAS

Flash75
10-06-2005, 06:39 PM
It sounds like it may be best to replace it.

Clifton

stevedal
10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Thank you for your response. The shaft is wiggly inside the housing so I assume I need to replace the distributor. The numbers on the side of the housing are as follows: 41813A 45DM 518 LUCAS
Thanks again for the response. Any idea where I can get one? The new ones seem to be alot of money. Should I just shop junkyards?

CraigFL
10-08-2005, 12:16 PM
I hear that a lot of people have bought replacements from places like Auto Zone and Advance Auto Parts for under $70.00

Add your comment to this topic!