Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Purchased Universal Tow Bar - For Mgb

pinoyfunk
09-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Hello forum members
I purchased a tow bar in anticipation that I will be moving soon. My 1974 MGB is a work in progress and I have yet to have it insured and inspected - hence the need to tow it.
I plan on pulling it with a GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. I have a mig welder and pretty decent welding skills and fabrication.

Is there someone out there who has seen or made baseplates that make an MGB 4 down towable. I was planning on welding a 2" angle iron connecting the hook brackets that come down at corners of the L brackets that hold the chrome bumper. I would then mount the base plates to the angle iron which you would see just below the front bumper. I'd like to hold off on this because I'd have to remove the entire front bumper and deal with having those hook brackets lined up just so prior reinstalling - does anyone have a suggestion for a better way?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Flash75
09-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Talk to someone in the motorhome business. Most of them flat tow vehicles frequently and they know what is needed. My 74 MG has tie down eyes mounted on the bumper brackets, that is the area I would explore if I were doing the job. I would also want a bolt on system.

I believe most states will require that vehicles being flat towed must have a valid license plate on it. You may get away without it but it could be frustrating if you get stopped for no plate.

Clifton

MGBSS63
09-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I Made A Tow Bar Like That And It Worked Fine For Years.i Used Some Used L Brackets So I Didn't Ruin My Bumper Brackets.only Time I Had A Problem Is When I Towed One With Some Structural Damage On The Frame. I Just About Lost The Car. Tie Your Steering Wheel With A Rope But Leave A Little Slack.that's So Your Wheels Don't Over Turn ...mgbss63

cbnjulie
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Hello forum members
I purchased a tow bar in anticipation that I will be moving soon. My 1974 MGB is a work in progress and I have yet to have it insured and inspected - hence the need to tow it.
I plan on pulling it with a GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. I have a mig welder and pretty decent welding skills and fabrication.

Is there someone out there who has seen or made baseplates that make an MGB 4 down towable. I was planning on welding a 2" angle iron connecting the hook brackets that come down at corners of the L brackets that hold the chrome bumper. I would then mount the base plates to the angle iron which you would see just below the front bumper. I'd like to hold off on this because I'd have to remove the entire front bumper and deal with having those hook brackets lined up just so prior reinstalling - does anyone have a suggestion for a better way?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Is there any need to disconnect the drive-shaft? I once towed mine 800 miles but that was using a rented U-Haul towing trailer that got the rear wheels off the ground.

pinoyfunk
09-19-2005, 07:29 PM
cbn julie wrote:
Is there any need to disconnect the drive-shaft? I once towed mine 800 miles but that was using a rented U-Haul towing trailer that got the rear wheels off the ground.

I don't see a problem to the transmisssion or engine if the MGB is kept in neutral - nothing could happen to them if they are not engaged.

There is a slight possibility that something could happen to the overdrive or differential - you should make sure these are filled to the proper fluid level.

I Towed mine 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania with a uhaul dolly that allowed the rear wheels to touch the ground. In observance of Murphy's, I removed the driveshaft.

When in doubt and you're not towing the MGB often and very far, I would drop the driveshaft. If you are towing it < 200 miles and often driving it - as in the case of behind a motor home on monthly outings, I wouldn't bother dropping the axle - just keep good fluid in the diff and tranny.

If anyone out there feels different or knows the Manufacturer's recommendation please let us know.

cbnjulie
10-05-2005, 08:40 PM
cbn julie wrote:

I don't see a problem to the transmisssion or engine if the MGB is kept in neutral - nothing could happen to them if they are not engaged.

There is a slight possibility that something could happen to the overdrive or differential - you should make sure these are filled to the proper fluid level.

I Towed mine 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania with a uhaul dolly that allowed the rear wheels to touch the ground. In observance of Murphy's, I removed the driveshaft.

When in doubt and you're not towing the MGB often and very far, I would drop the driveshaft. If you are towing it < 200 miles and often driving it - as in the case of behind a motor home on monthly outings, I wouldn't bother dropping the axle - just keep good fluid in the diff and tranny.

If anyone out there feels different or knows the Manufacturer's recommendation please let us know.

Dude! You moved from OK to PA? So did I! I grew up in Broken Arrow, OK but went to college in Elizabethtown, PA. I now live in Auburn, AL and I moved my MG from central PA down here on a U Haul.

Add your comment to this topic!