Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cold air intake vs short ram air intake???

sgt d
06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
I've been doing some research on both of these products for my '02 acura rsx type-s. I'm trying to get some more horsepower without going crazy. Can anyone explain the difference to me in plain english? Is there any down sides to either one and what are the chances of something going wrong if you install one of these kits? -Thanks

drftk1d
06-16-2005, 02:28 PM
with the cold air you COULD get water in the engine, but its pretty unlikely, and you can get a bypass filter to prevent it if you feel its a problem. usually cold air intakes make more power for an n/a engine.

CassiesMan
06-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Downside to CAI-If you dont get a bypass valve, or your an idiot, you cold get hydrolock=new engine.

Both are easy to install, if you don't buy some major brand name they can be cheap, but at most, it might make your car sound a bit different with mybe three to four whp gains at most. AFE offers kits (I dunno if they have one for and RSX-S) that claim upwards of 20hp gains...

The difference? Most short ram intakes keep the intake in the engine bay. If you want to do this, I recomend not spending more than the cost of a K&N drop in, then cut the air box so that the K&N is exposed. A short ram, for the most part, is just an open element intake.

A cold air intake removes the filter from the engine bay (usually to near the bumper), so that it gets a better flow of cooler air from outside the engine bay. Cooler air is denser, so you can take in more air...

In reality, you won't notice any real difference with either unless you get some software along with it to deal with an increased air flow.

sgt d
06-16-2005, 02:47 PM
thanks for the info!!!!!!!!

tha_new_guy
06-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Downside to CAI-If you dont get a bypass valve, or your an idiot, you cold get hydrolock=new engine.

Both are easy to install, if you don't buy some major brand name they can be cheap, but at most, it might make your car sound a bit different with mybe three to four whp gains at most. AFE offers kits (I dunno if they have one for and RSX-S) that claim upwards of 20hp gains...

The difference? Most short ram intakes keep the intake in the engine bay. If you want to do this, I recomend not spending more than the cost of a K&N drop in, then cut the air box so that the K&N is exposed. A short ram, for the most part, is just an open element intake.

A cold air intake removes the filter from the engine bay (usually to near the bumper), so that it gets a better flow of cooler air from outside the engine bay. Cooler air is denser, so you can take in more air...

In reality, you won't notice any real difference with either unless you get some software along with it to deal with an increased air flow.
:1:

Well said.

BP2K2Max
06-17-2005, 10:34 AM
i've heard that CAI's can cause a loss of top end power due to all the extra piping required.

Add your comment to this topic!