Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DEAD BATTERY on 735iL 1988 need doors open

1988735iLBrooklyn
04-16-2005, 07:41 PM
For those of us who owns 1988 735IL and battery died and doors are locked and tried to lift the passenger door and turn the key 100 times to engage emergency unlock and did not work below solution works good.

FYI the trunk unlocks and opens with the key by just placing the key and turning then push the button

This my friend is ingenius tried it after I've been working to unlock the door with a dead battery for 6 hours even AAA don't have a clue (Slim Jim is discontinued due to side airbag. Lock smith would do the same by turning the key while lever is up position but the lock knob button needs to come up about an inch and a quarter. Good luck with that.

Solution I did
- open the trunk by with the key. Yes the trunk will open
- pry the trunk light and locate positive and negative post.
- remove the electronic connector protector
- removing bulb not necessary
- Jump Start device 300AMP or a 12 Volt power source for cars
- simple wire from an old electronic device
- have to wires for red and black
- Stripped it to expose metal then connect positive and negative to the trunk light connector (pay attention red and black) goes to red and black of the battery source
- set polarity on the jump start 300amp gadget
- it gives enough juice to the system
- then turn the key on the passenger/driver key
- WALA it works

Hope that it assisted and ended the dilema

Mario1
07-31-2005, 11:46 AM
I was pulling my hair trying to open my doors. I did a search on Google and found this post.
Voila! It worked perfectly and didn't have to call BMW.
'Thank you guys for all your valuable information!!!!!

BimmerBill88
01-16-2011, 05:04 PM
You should be able to open the door with dead battery by holding passenger door handle up and turn key firmly in door lock. I had to work mine back and forth to get the lock lever to come up all the way. AAA was no help.

Add your comment to this topic!