Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

increase of gas mileage?

tarheel4eva
12-20-2004, 01:56 PM
How can I increase the gas milage in my X? I have a 2001 6.8L V10(non-diesel) and I get about 11.7 mpg or so it says on the center console. Would adding a supercharger or a turbo kit help with fuel management? Does adding fuel additives help also?

RedLightning
12-20-2004, 08:52 PM
I think a cai, cat-back, or electric fan might bring up that mpg(pluss some more hp).

tarheel4eva
12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
I think a cai, cat-back, or electric fan might bring up that mpg(pluss some more hp).

Would that void the warranty that I have on the vehicle? It's not the FORD warranty, but an aftermarket 3yr/36K. I can always put the original parts back on to get my X checked out at a mechanic. What is a cat-back, and how would a electric fan be placed at? Also would getting a K&N air filter help with that as well? Would like to find diferent opinions on the subject matter! Thanks!

leowolf
12-21-2004, 11:00 PM
adding a super or turbo charger would only make fuel economy worse, the more fuel air you put in the worse the economy, plus the added mass of the rotating parts will only add to the feast. diesels work on a totaly different principal and they get better economy with these add ons.

im affraid lower the profile and weight of tires is the best way to improve your economy with this monster.

driving habits can help, speeding up to the piont where it shifts into final drive (OD) and backing off just to the point that it maintains a constant speed in low speed zones. choosing routs with the least amount of stops, and the most highway ect. aslo shifting to netral while coasting down long grades can help. the least speed the the engine runs in OD the better the economy.

GooD LucK!

RedLightning
12-22-2004, 01:45 PM
A cat-back is the part of the exhuast from the cattalitic(spelling?) converters and back, give you better flow. That would probibly void your warrenty, but a cai or e-fan I think would not.

An electric fan replaces your waterpump powered cooling fan. It cools better and more efficiently. And a cool air intake does just that, it brings in more air(cooler).

A cai might get you about 10 more hp. and a bit better mpg, and an e-fan would bring it up abit too, and get you about 15hp. Though those are numbers based on my truck not an excursion. For and e-fan check out flex-a-lite thats what alot of 1st gen Lightning owners use. A K&N drop in filter would perhaps get you better mpg(then stock), but a cai might be better couse it gets you more hp, and replaces the entire factory restrictive air intake. Of course you should do more research, b/c im not all sure about this.

RedLightning
12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/reliability/radiator_fans.htm

tarheel4eva
12-22-2004, 06:36 PM
A cat-back is the part of the exhuast from the cattalitic(spelling?) converters and back, give you better flow. That would probibly void your warrenty, but a cai or e-fan I think would not.

An electric fan replaces your waterpump powered cooling fan. It cools better and more efficiently. And a cool air intake does just that, it brings in more air(cooler).

A cai might get you about 10 more hp. and a bit better mpg, and an e-fan would bring it up abit too, and get you about 15hp. Though those are numbers based on my truck not an excursion. For and e-fan check out flex-a-lite thats what alot of 1st gen Lightning owners use. A K&N drop in filter would perhaps get you better mpg(then stock), but a cai might be better couse it gets you more hp, and replaces the entire factory restrictive air intake. Of course you should do more research, b/c im not all sure about this.

was considering the CAI, but I would have to do some drilling to allow the original sensors in the mix ya know! I do not have all the tools available for that custom. Having it professionally done is not an option till tax season. For now I'll just get a new K&N drop in filter due to the one that is in there is very dirty. I appreciate all of your input and opinions! Thanks again!

urban cowboy
12-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I have an f250 super duty with the V10, basically the same truck with different body. The simplest mpg, hp gainers are a K&N air filter, K&N oil filter and properly inflated tires. These are basic maintenance items anyone can do. The next would be a cat back exhaust, and as long as it is a street legal system in your state, it should not void the warranty.

tarheel4eva
12-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I have the gas engine and was wondering if using the higher octane gas would help increase the gas mileage or would it hinder it? I have read the manual that came with the vehicle and it read that using only 87 octane is recommended and not to use fuel additives. Has anyone tried this or noticed any difference? I would like to keep this mini-bus as long as I can without any problems. Thanks!!!!!

urban cowboy
12-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Higher octane doesn't really make a difference in these motors. Just be sure to replace the fuel filter regularly. Also try to run only brand a gas. I have noticed a difference when switching brands.

tarheel4eva
12-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Cool well I'll just keep an eye on the falling gas prices. Thanks for all the info

gmmlilg
01-31-2005, 11:12 AM
I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway. Here is what I found and none of it will effect your warrenty. I bought and installed a fuel body spacer which can be found at Summit Racing for around $45 and a K&N air filter which was also around $45. As I was installing everything I looked at where the air intake got it's air from. Now this was where I believe I got most of my mileage, the air intake stops right in front of the plastic support at the side of the rediator. I pulled the front grill off which just pops on and cut a square hole into the plastic right in front of the air intake. Now I get great mileage in respect to a V10 and I have noticably more power. What I found doing my little research was that the more cold air you can get into and engine and the larger the pipes to get the exhaust out of the engine the better power and mileage you will get.

Good luck.

g

bhfdsta.1
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Like others have said, clean filters, proper tire pressure, and driving habits make a big difference. A quality after-market exhaust will also make a bit of a difference. As far as cutting the plastic in front of the air inlet, I would be wary of doing this, because that piece of plastic is there to keep water and other debris out of the intake. If you do opt to do this, just be careful where you drive and check your air filter frequently, as it will get dirty faster.

gmmlilg
02-02-2005, 01:09 PM
bhfdsta.1 is correct as for checking your air filter but the aftermarket air intake systems offered just leave your airfilter hanging around in the engine compartment to collect all the debre plus hot air from the engine. So I really did not see the difference but cutting on your X can be a little nerve racking.

tarheel4eva
02-07-2005, 02:09 PM
with the hole in the area for air to get through to the intake, when you are driving would rain water enter at that spot? How much water can the air filter hold before it causes a damaged part for your vehicle. I would consider doing something like that to help with the mileage. Then with a K&N filter is there not some kind of fluid on the filter to assist in the duty? You can always wash it out as described on the web site.

novark
03-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway. Here is what I found and none of it will effect your warrenty. I bought and installed a fuel body spacer which can be found at Summit Racing for around $45 and a K&N air filter which was also around $45. As I was installing everything I looked at where the air intake got it's air from. Now this was where I believe I got most of my mileage, the air intake stops right in front of the plastic support at the side of the rediator. I pulled the front grill off which just pops on and cut a square hole into the plastic right in front of the air intake. Now I get great mileage in respect to a V10 and I have noticably more power. What I found doing my little research was that the more cold air you can get into and engine and the larger the pipes to get the exhaust out of the engine the better power and mileage you will get.

Good luck.

g

What is the dimension of the square hole you cut in the plastic panel? Is the hole square or rectangular? Have you experienced any problems with water or other "debris" entering the air filter?

gmmlilg
03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
The hole that I cut is basically the same size as the intake hose and it is a rectangle. I have not had any problem with road debris or water. I do have a K&N filter and I clean it about every 5k when I do the oil change unless I have been off road alot.

novark
03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I have 2001 Excursion V 10. Gas milage averages 10.8 mpg. Very little city driving, mostly highway trips of around 60 to 150 miles. With the price of gas....$2.00 a gallon...I need to do all I can to improve it.

Any more suggestions????

gmmlilg
03-08-2005, 10:03 AM
I know the small mods that I did were pretty simple and increased my mileage right away. The next thing on my list was to go for a Cat back system (exhaust). Something else to consider is to run your tires at just below max pressure, I found that helped also. Of course with the old firestone tires you had to run them at around max to keep them inflated.

tarheel4eva
03-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I know the small mods that I did were pretty simple and increased my mileage right away. The next thing on my list was to go for a Cat back system (exhaust). Something else to consider is to run your tires at just below max pressure, I found that helped also. Of course with the old firestone tires you had to run them at around max to keep them inflated.

The tire pressure is 80psi I was told to keep it at 60 to be safe should I go higher to 70? I don't want to blow it out when I'm driving and getting the tires warm.

gmmlilg
03-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I run mine at 70 psi as for blowouts on the hiway most are caused by under inflation or overloading the vehicle. Ford puts real low limits on airpressure so that you get the softest ride. I increased my mileage and got a stiffer ride in the corners when driving mountain roads. I live in northern Nevada where it is normal to go from 4k ft. to 7k ft. when you travel.

tarheel4eva
03-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Good luck.

g

With the body spacer would I have to get a new Intake manifold or is the V10 stock manifold sufficient? With a lot more air entering in the engine would it be okay to just install the spacer! The exhaust pipes on my X is pretty big to let all the burnt gases out. I have looked at the Summit racing web site to find an air intake manifold, but I could not find one. Maybe, I wasn't looking hard enough.

gmmlilg
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
My spacer came with the necessary hardware to hook up to my stock manifold and took about 20 - 30 minutes to install. It was pretty easy in all.

g

tarheel4eva
03-17-2005, 05:26 AM
I have read about this spacer and it explaons that it helps create a vortex of air into your manifold am I correct or mislead on this? If you have noticed improvement on your ex then I'll give it a try!

tarheel4eva
03-17-2005, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE=gmmlilg]I have a 2000 Excursion and my mileage was around 12.5 on the hiway which was nothing to write home about so I did a little research also, now I get 16 on the hiway.

Does your trip indicator on the overhead changes with the mods? Just wondering cause mine reads 11.7 MPG. Witht these mods would the cpu "learn" the changes of air volume and change the overhead display? Just wondering!

gmmlilg
03-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes the overhead will pick up the mileage change but I forgot to say that when I was putting my throttle body spacer on it instructed me to undo the battery so that the air oxygen sensor would reset.

sorry,
g

Add your comment to this topic!