Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to disable ABS flashing light.

fzadeh
08-01-2004, 06:27 PM
My 1998 Passat 4 cyl has a flashing ABS and a constant Brake alarm light on all the time. Dealer says it needs a new ABS control module asking $1800 for it. I do'nt mind not having ABS but if anyone has information on how to disable the annoying flashing ABS and Brake alarm lights, it would be greatly appriciated.

boschmann
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
The bulb holder rectangular section pops out of the dash. It can be unplugged.

-Sorry that's for the earlier models....

fzadeh
08-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks, would this require taking the whole Gauge Cluster out of the Dash first?

boschmann
08-05-2004, 06:33 PM
The ABS/Brake light should be in the center console near the rear window cotrols.

samc
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm having the same problem w/my 99 Passat
ABS light is on and beeps. The book says you must take off the steering wheel to get to the dash and it could set off the air bag. Please help

carolmc
08-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Is there an easy way to shut off the beeping ABS and brake light?

Gavin Curtis
09-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Is there an easy way to shut off the beeping ABS and brake light?

We are currently working on a cost effective repair solution for these new Bosch ABS control modules. We anticipate rebuild cost target of $250.00.

Could you please forward any information regarding the exact nature of module failure indicated by the dealer to me? My email is gavin@circuitsolutions.info.

So far, most common error is a generic "loss of communication". Any more info including error code and description if other than "loss of communication" will assist in isolating the problem area within this nasty little module!

Nesh
01-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I just bought a used 99 Passat GLS 1.8T and seem to have the same problem as other forum users.
My problem is intermittent, but still very annoying. I have been trying to find a solution and came across another forum (see below)
I hope this helps in any way.

Web address is http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1421315
Here is a small part of discussion:

A '95 Passat I am servicing has the ABS light coming on also. Doing a scan-code check revealed one of the pump's coils (or some pump part) was reading a bad value or something like that. I can get you the specific error code if you're interested in comparing... Anyway, based on that fault code, it appears a new ABS pump would be required. Since that is so much $$$ to buy the part and replace it, we are just putting up with the ABS light coming on.

Here is what the dealership scan ($50) came up with on our '95 Passat VR6 ABS light problem:

"03 brake electronics
1H0907379E
ABS/EDS TEVES 04

2 Fault detected

00259 035
Right Front ABS Inlet Valve -N99-

00532 035
Supply voltage"

(there were several other fault codes that came on due to a loose/intermittent battery cable battery connection, so ignore the "supply voltage" codes.)

Troubleshooting the "Right front ABS Inlet Valve

Jake Russell
1981 VW Rabbit "GTD" autocrosser - SCCA FSP class

Gavin Curtis
01-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Good news all VW owners with ABS module problems!!

I have successfully traced in the fault in the Passat's Bosch ABS module!!!

Now in the process of locating a suitable replacement component and will be offering rebuild services for all VW's with the Bosch 5.3 ABS/TCS unit!

Expected rebuild will be in the $225.00 price range and carry a 3 year warranty.

First beta test units are now being serviced and in process of testing. Please email me if you have a bad Bosch 5.3i unit.

veedubmechanic
01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
An easy way to fix this problem is REPLACE YOUR DEFECTIVE ABS MODULE!! If you put in a "repaired" or "rebuilt" module the chances of it failing again is higher and the one time you really NEED the abs is might not work. Why do you think vw does not have a "core" price on abs or airbag related components for them to rebuild it? for that reason. Or maybe you could find one off a passat in a junkyard that isnt bad.

Gavin Curtis
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
An easy way to fix this problem is REPLACE YOUR DEFECTIVE ABS MODULE!! If you put in a "repaired" or "rebuilt" module the chances of it failing again is higher and the one time you really NEED the abs is might not work. Why do you think vw does not have a "core" price on abs or airbag related components for them to rebuild it? for that reason. Or maybe you could find one off a passat in a junkyard that isnt bad.

The problem is that virtually all of the Bosch 5.3 and 5.3i ABS modules in the Passat have a serious internal defect (bad manufacturing process) that WILL surface after 1-6 years of service. So when you buy a new module that costs $1500.00; you can count on the fact that it will fail again... I assure you.

If you pull a junkyard unit... chances are that it is on the way to failure. If the unit is good, then it often requires EEPROM recoding to work when transferred to another vehicle.

The rebuild has resolved the manufacturing flaw in instances where communication has completely failed with the module or it behaves intermittently.

I don't know who would want to keep buying 3-4 $1500 modules for the life of their late model VW's lifespan to keep the ABS functioning.

Electronic control systems in all new cars with the exception of the engine management computer and perhaps navigation unit are all built to the lowest level consumer electronic standards. But are far overpriced vs actual construction cost.

veedubmechanic
01-29-2005, 01:21 AM
If VW knew about problems of a safety system like this they would fix it and sell an "updated" module to people. I have only seen 4 ABS modules replaced before (not including the RECALL abs modules on jettas).

Gavin Curtis
01-29-2005, 04:13 PM
If VW knew about problems of a safety system like this they would fix it and sell an "updated" module to people. I have only seen 4 ABS modules replaced before (not including the RECALL abs modules on jettas).

The problem is loss of functionality of the electronic ABS control unit is not sufficient to warrant a recall as vehicle is still safe to drive. Look at the GMC and Chevy ABS problem. No recall on their electronic modules. Also, Volvo and Jaguar have no recall on their failing ABS electronic control units.

If the mechanical hydraulic control unit has a defect... then there would be an instant recall because brake system could malfunction. Based on automotive history, they will continue manufacturing the part with the internal problem for some time. The solution would require retooling at the factory and disposing of a large inventory of modules.

The only electronic module recall I can think of would be in certain applications where the ABS module is used for electronic front/rear proportioning to save money vs the standard mechical proportioning valve or properly sized rear brake assemblies to eliminate the need for any proportioning system.

Electronic proportioning is a bad design concept and only few vehicles are using the technique. When the electronic ABS unit fails in such situations, then too much braking force can be distributed to the back wheels of the car and cause danger in emergency situation.

The Nippon/Bosch 5.3 modules are used in a large majority of cars after 1997 if they are not using the ATE Teves systems.

belladad
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM

You kind of contradict yourself. Here is what you said in a separate Passat thread...

If the brakes dont apply right away when you step on the brake pedal then theres air in the brake system.
THe abs control modules go bad alot on 98-01 passats... vw seems to fix the problem on 02+ models.

Which is it, they don't have ABS problems or they do? I only ask because the ABS Control Module just failed on my '01 Passat also. With a quote of $1,500 from my VW dealer to replace it! I'm willing to roll the dice and try Gavin's solution any day of the week vs. continue to throw $$$ at the dealer. VW should be ashamed of themselves for their lack of customer service!

Here is a "short" list of problems I have had with the car since it was new...(01 VW Passat 4Motion - Paid >40k for the car)

- Virtually all of the interior wood panels have formed cracks in them. The dealership replaced one set before the warranty was up. 2000 miles later (26k miles total) the rest of them had formed cracks but VW refused to replace them because they were "out of warranty". Yea right.

- VW replaced the cataletic converter because of a warning light. Turned out to be the sensor (luckily it was still under warranty)

- Replace the A/C system fan because it threw a blade. ($400)

- Replace the interior over head light because the switch broke ($200)

- Both steering arms had to be replaced because one of the ball ends went bad. Was quoted >$700 to fix them, $400 parts & labor to replace them and $300 to re-align the front end. This one was the straw that broke the camels back. When I questioned the dealership about the $300 for a front end alignment they told me that because it was a 4motion that it was "special" and would take 3-4 hours for the alignment. I called three other alignment shops (including one at a Toyota dealership), their quotes for the alignment varied from $79 to $89. Needless to say the entire job cost me under $300 for the same work the the dealship quoted me $700.

- Had to replace the interior window trim that started to fall away ($150). VW wont admit it but it started to fall away after they replaced the wood trim on that door.

- The trunk release has quit working (not going to even bother fixing it).

- The armrest/compartment latch broke (again, not going to fix).

- I've gone through 3 sets of headlights on the car because of the dumb*ss (on all the time) programming that they have built in.

- My favorite are the brakes! When I had the car at the dealership with 30,000 miles on it they told me I needed new brakes in the back. I said fine, give me a quote. They quoted me $600! When I cornered them on the price they told me that they had to replace the rotors! Who replaces rotors at 30k miles?!?! I took it to Midas and paid $40 for new pads, rotors calipered fine.

- At roughly 60k miles the dealership told me the same thing (need new rear brakes) and quoted another $600. I took it to Midas again, paid $40 for a pad slap (rotors still calipered fine!)

- At 100k miles the dealership quoted me $700 for new front brakes. Again they told me I needed new rotors. Again I cornered them on the rotors and again they told me that "By Law" they were too thin and needed to be replaced. Took it to Midas, $180 later I have new pads on the front, still the same rotors. And in case anyone is wondering, still the same rotors all the way around, no warps, and within specs!

I feel sorry for the people who take their cars to the dealership and just go along with the line of bull they feed you.

This is the last VW I (or anyone I know if I can help it) will buy! Back to Honda!

veedubmechanic
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Hondas are deffinately more reliable than vw's thats for sure. But vw are safer, quieter, and alot more comfortable than hondas. Passats DO have a big problem with abs control modules from 98-01. Electronics go bad, its just a mater of time, not if.

Gavin Curtis
05-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Hondas are deffinately more reliable than vw's thats for sure. But vw are safer, quieter, and alot more comfortable than hondas. Passats DO have a big problem with abs control modules from 98-01. Electronics go bad, its just a mater of time, not if.

Electronics indeed fail often... because of poor engineering. The typical semiconductor chip when kept at a low and stable operating temperature and proper encapsulation methods can literally last hundreds of years. Low power devices such as digital watches etc are estimated to have lifespans of 500+ years; perhaps into the thousands. A company my sister works for designs multiprocessor controller boards for specific industrial application. These rack mount devices have estimated continual use lifespans of a minimum of 200 years! By then the LED displays will have dimmed considerably... but apparently they assure their customers this incredible lifespan. Certain devices such as electrolytic capacitors are avoided etc.

Electronics in cars fail due to very poor quality control and manufacturing techniques. The ECU (engine control computer) usually has a reputation for being very reliable.... simply because it is built to very high standards. Rest of the electronics in the average car fall into lower categories. ABS units seem to hit the bottom followed only by the body control module after the early 90's.

Bosch 5.3 units overall should easily outlast the car and are probably limited in life by the EEPROM memory retention time of 70 years or so. At which time, the EEPROM data would need to be refreshed.

Once the design weakness has been addressed, the 5.3's are one of the best ABS units out there. I originally hated them.... but I do see their numerous positive attributes once the faults have been corrected in the rebuild. They are indeed cheap... but the chips are properly encapsulated and heatsinked in a manner to give the device a very very long service life; like one of those throwaway digital watches that can potentially last hundreds and hundreds of years.

The actual cost to make the 5.3 electronic controller appears to be about $23.00 in materials. So why they are selling for $1400+ is quite a markup.

gelsonp34
08-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks, would this require taking the whole Gauge Cluster out of the Dash first?

I'm having the same problem has anyone found out how to disconnect that flashing ABS light?

lodownlv
10-08-2005, 01:49 AM
i know how to fix them give me a shout ill do it cheep!

Roadandguitarman
06-07-2006, 09:30 PM
How can I disable the 3 beeping sounds for the ABS and Brake warning lights on a '98 VW Passat?

drewrob40
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
How can I disable the 3 beeping sounds for the ABS and Brake warning lights on a '98 VW Passat?

Your ABS computer is f'ed.

Go here: www.cheapabs.com

There are lots of places that repair these now. I shopped around and these guys were the cheapest and fastest on my '00 passat. Got my abs back within a week. Everything worked as soon as i plugged the rebuilt unit in. I don't remember how much I paid but I think it was about $100 after everything. (tho the mechanic charged me 30 bucks to pull it out and send it to them).

pmarhi
03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Had the same problem with my 2000 Passat. The only way to fix this is to repair/replace your ABS module. I brought my Passat into the dealer and was told I needed a new ABS module. Cost: $890. I found a company not far from me that that will rebuild your ABS module for $139 and guarantee it for as long as you own the car: BAA Reman, Taunton MA http://www.bba-reman.com/us/index.aspx. They also will sell you a rebuilt module for $199, but you must have the module re-coded, and my local dealer would not do that for me (nice guys, huh?). And you must send them your original module. If you have your own rebuilt and re-installed, no re-coding is necessary. So I had my local mechanic remove the module (you can still drive the car), and drove down to Taunton, MA where they are located. They were kind enough to do the rebuild on the spot (only takes about 45 mins.). Had lunch nearby and came back in 45 mins and took it home with me, had it re-installed by my local mechanic and problem solved! No more beeping, no more flashing lights. Total cost to me: $214 ($139 + $75 to remove and re-install). Highly recommend BAA Man. They couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Even have removal instructions on their website.

tooskinneejs
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
I ran across this forum after doing a google search on "passat abs control module." The control module on my 2000 VW Passat failed this spring causing me to fail my recent Virginia safety inspection. The auto shop quoted me about $1,000 to replace the ABS control module with a new replacement part.

Luckily I stumbled upon this forum and saw the link for cheap-abs.com.

I spent $99 having cheap-abs do the repair to the control module and $200 having my local auto shop take the module off and put it back on after repair.

I highly recommend the cheap-abs route if anyone is experiencing the same problem. They were very quick to turn it around too (just a couple of days).

edonia
07-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Volkswagen passat is the worst car in the world
.......for me this car doesn't exist anymore ...
I feel like put it on fire .
I want my money back
i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwesiman
12-15-2009, 10:19 AM
pmarhi

Can you show me which mechanic helped you out by taking out the ABS and you were still able to drive the car? I live near taunton and can take it BBA but I dont know any mechaninc that has done this before.

thank you

72hopilot
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Bought "the wife's" 2000 Passat in 2004. Got a great deal on it from her girl friend who bought it new at the local VW dealer. Overall it's been a descent car but I'm a "mechanical" type of guy, old school BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) and I actually enjoy working on cars. I have a 1999 Olds Alero with 170,000 miles and it runs excellent. Besides the usual brakes pads, plugs, oil, airfilter, I haven't had to do anything to this car. As far as I'm concerned, the Passat is a mechanic's nightmare. I honestly believe that this car was purposely designed to make it as hard as possible for the owner to fix ANYTHING, forcing the owner to take it to the dealer, where they charge you out the ass as you take it up the ass when trying to get anything done properly by them. So far, ours has had two complete sets of CV boots, 5 control arms, the timing belt and all associated pulleys, belts, thermostat, and of course, the infamous ABS MODULE!, along with other little annoyances that piss me off even more. Every time I attempt to work on this german POS I need to buy SPECIAL tools or SPECIAL parts.....WTF?....I get so angry every time I wrench on this car that I want to scream!! The other night I was in the middle of one of my typical "Passat" rants when attempting to reinstall the passenger side drive axle after replacing yet another CV boot when my wife opened the door of the garage and asked what I was yelling about. I yelled back at her' "NO WONDER THE DAMN GERMAN"S LOST THE WAR!!!"......and to think, I'm German....LOL!....oh well....the wife bitches at me every time I bitch about this German piece of automotive excellence (can you sense the extreme sarcasm in my voice).....so I guess I'm stuck with it until it dies for good or she decides to get that new Cadillac (Thank you Lord).....so wish me luck....the weekend after next I'm attempting the Passat's new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing........Lord give me strength!

99passatPOJ
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I didn't need to decorate my house for christmas, I just took the car for a drive and looked at all the lights on the dash!. Here is some advice to all VW owners and the best solution to their problems SELL IT! Take the loss you'll come out way ahead then owning a VW peice of junk. I own a 99 passat GLX, bought it new. Can't afford to buy a new one since i've gone broke fixing this one. Everything you can think of has gone wrong with it... Front ends numorous times, electronics, radio, transmision is groaning now, ABS modulator is out Oh don't forget to replace the serpantine belt ($1,500) at 80k miles, they'll fail and then you will get stuck with a $4,500 valve job bill.. It doesn't matter what consumer reports say or any one else says they're JUNK! Don't be fooled by "they fixed the problem" the new ones will turn out just as bad.

JSUSK
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Best solution...BBA Reman out of Massachu

Less than $300 they will repair yours.. Ive used them on two cars..
EXCELLENT ..
US Office
BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780
Toll Free: 1 (866) 573 - 2740
Local: 1 (508) 822 - 4490
Fax: 1 (508) 822-4491
email: US-Sales@BBA-reman.com (US-Sales@BBA-reman.com)

erhead64
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
01 jetta: abs, battery, oil light flashing tachometer arm dropping, 3 beeps.
took my car to the dealership and related this to them. they looked at me as if i were an alien and told me they had NO idea what this could possibly mean...........thanks for all the input in this forum. we are going to check out the rebuilding option.

Speed32
02-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Ok so I just bought a 2001 passat 4 days ago and I've already put 275 into it to replace the dash were the odometers are. now it's telling me brake default and all my lights on my dash are on and won't turn off. I had it ran and the code p16-26 came up I've been looking it up and I'm guessing its the abs module. I really don't want to spend a lot of money repairing this car since I had a 1995 Acura legend and it become a lot of money. So can someone please give me some advice as how to turn it off or a cheap place to get it fixed I'm in Arizona.

veedubmechanic
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
There is a place out on the east coast called bba-reman.com that repairs them for cheap

Add your comment to this topic!