Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2010 Grand Cherokee Transmission Cooler Line Identification

tinkering
11-18-2021, 10:17 AM
2010 Grand Cherokee

I am unable to do a search using my phone.

Which is the return line to the transmission from the cooler? At the cooler which is that return line, the upper or the lower?

I have a method to try to identify the lines but would appreciate it if someone could save me the job by simply telling me?
Thanks 🌞👍

Stealthee
11-18-2021, 10:48 AM
From the looks of diagrams you can't purchase the return separately from the feed. So with that no diagram shows which is which from what I've seen.

tinkering
11-18-2021, 10:54 AM
I want to install the filter on the return line.

To determine which line is the return line you will want to start with your truck totally cooled off. Start the truck and put it in drive, apply the brakes firmly and then apply the accelerator slightly so that the rpms climb. Put the truck back in park and shut it off.

Now go out and feel the two lines leaving the radiator. The cooler of the two lines is the return line and the one to install the transmission cooler on.

Some transmissions have thermostats that need the ATF to reach a certain temperature before it will flow to the cooler. I have no idea if this transmission in the 2010 Grand Cherokee is one of those transmissions.

Does anybody know the answer to any of these questions?

tinkering
11-19-2021, 12:33 AM
I had success with the above method. My assistant sat in the car and did the mild brake stand, for 1 or 2 minutes at no more than 1500 rpm. I measured the temperature of the two cooler lines as the transmission temperature rose. It turns out that this 2010 Grand Cherokee has the return line on the bottom. Simple.

Add your comment to this topic!