Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Skyline GT-R question

Seamus McRae
04-30-2020, 07:56 AM
G'day all

Just chasing some advice from those infinitely more knowledgeable on the subject matter of the title.
A really good mate of mine has a birthday coming up. He is a a NISMO nut (not my cup of tea, but...), drives an R33 GT-R & drifts an S13. He has a small collection of cars in his cabinet, though nothing has any real flow.
Anyways, for something a bit different as a birthday present, thought I would build him a model of a 'mildly tuned' Skyline.
Have noticed Aoshima, Fujimi & Tamiya all have GT-R 32, 33, 34's in their line-ups but who does the best?

360spider
04-30-2020, 10:40 AM
I personally go with Tamiya on all, but keep in mind, that all except for R32 are curbsides. I think this is true for Fujimi and Aoshima too. R32 engine can be made into R33 with some work, though.

potsie
05-02-2020, 11:27 PM
I would agree, and Tamya's NISMO R32 kit is particularly nice and quite cheap for all the detail on offer. Aoshima's R34 kits are kit nice and there are a plethora of versions; standard, Nur-Spec, NISMO, Top Secret, MCR, VeilSide, MINES, etc. They usually have genuinely different bumpers and wheels.

petesy
05-04-2020, 02:57 PM
The R32 and R33 (both GTR and GTS 25t) can be found in the model car comparison site:

http://modelcarshirobom.syanari.com/comparison.html

R32 is a toss between Tamiya and Fujimi. Fujimi is supposed to have a more accurate body while Tamiya is more "muscular" and has an engine. Aoshima's version doesn't really do anything for me, it looks too angular. Tamiya also has the Nismo version, it's basically the road car kit with the Group A sprues and some new Nismo wheels thrown in.

R33 is definitely Tamiya. Fujimi had drivel into their dark age by then and there are some serious issue with mold lines on the body. They also just reused the incorrect seats from the R32 and the steering wheel looks awful.

For R34, all 3 makers are fine. Tamiya's pretty much throw itself together, Fujimi's is also ok but with that funky split seats where the seat bottoms are molded to the interior tub, and Aoshima has many different tuning versions. If you want to build a stockish one then Tamiya is probably the way to go, for aero kitted versions you can look at Aoshima's offerings.

Seamus McRae
05-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys. Pretty much nailed the info I was chasing

Add your comment to this topic!