Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2K clear users - which respirator do you use?

360spider
10-31-2018, 07:05 PM
Question to those who use 2K clear, which respirators/masks do you use?
I can no longer get cartridges for my old 3M mask, so need to get something new - what does everyone uses these days?

AAlmeida
11-02-2018, 07:45 AM
I use the 3M 6200 mask with the black cartridge

360spider
11-02-2018, 10:11 AM
I use the 3M 6200 mask with the black cartridge

I thought black cartridges do not filter organics? Iso is no joke man.

Niro750
11-02-2018, 01:03 PM
You need air fed apparently. If you read up on it, very little can be done to filter out the vapor and it's very very toxic

AAlmeida
11-02-2018, 02:28 PM
I thought black cartridges do not filter organics? Iso is no joke man.

https://tooldepot247.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/ecd051e9670bd57df35c8f0b122d8aea/0/7/07046xl.jpg

360spider
11-02-2018, 02:31 PM
You need air fed apparently. If you read up on it, very little can be done to filter out the vapor and it's very very toxic

Well, yes, and its also tasteless/has no smell. But the amount that we are (hobbysts) spraying is nowhere near to warrant an air-supply system, plus a good respirator with proper organic cartridges should be sufficient for spraying 20-30 grams of iso-based clears every now and then.

I was just wondering what everyones' setups were.

Niro750
11-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Well, yes, and its also tasteless/has no smell. But the amount that we are (hobbysts) spraying is nowhere near to warrant an air-supply system, plus a good respirator with proper organic cartridges should be sufficient for spraying 20-30 grams of iso-based clears every now and then.

I was just wondering what everyones' setups were.

From experience I disagree. I use my fan pattern brush to spray 1k clear and lacquer and even with extraction and a mask I ended up sensitised to them. I was fine at first but it caught up with me when I did my pc case. I wouldn't risk it. According to hse advice it only takes a tiny little bit to give you an effect that can last a life time. I'd take every precaution.

360spider
11-02-2018, 10:42 PM
From experience I disagree. I use my fan pattern brush to spray 1k clear and lacquer and even with extraction and a mask I ended up sensitised to them. I was fine at first but it caught up with me when I did my pc case. I wouldn't risk it. According to hse advice it only takes a tiny little bit to give you an effect that can last a life time. I'd take every precaution.

So what do you use?

stevenoble
11-03-2018, 01:04 AM
I stopped using 2k to be honest. I read up on it and decided it's not worth the risk. Apparently it can go through your skin, eyes all manner of things. So it's not just a mask you need. But also eye and skin protection..

360spider
11-03-2018, 09:25 PM
I stopped using 2k to be honest. I read up on it and decided it's not worth the risk. Apparently it can go through your skin, eyes all manner of things. So it's not just a mask you need. But also eye and skin protection..

It does not go through the skin, it can cause allergic reaction if it gets on your skin, yes. You just wear gloves and long sleeve shirt, and painters goggles + respirator. I've done it for many years.

If you use organic filters rated at P95 or P100, you are pretty safe. The question was mostly which masks people use, I didn't realize that not a lot of people use 2K chemicals.

Stealthee
11-03-2018, 10:33 PM
I've sprayed 2k clears on automobiles. It's not all that bad as some here are trying to make it out to be. There is definitely no need for an air fed system for the little amount being used on a model.

As far as respirators Harbor Freight actually sells disposable respirators. They are good for several uses of painting a whole automobile so they would probably be good til it deteriorates painting something like a model.

Niro750
11-03-2018, 10:54 PM
So what do you use?

Still the same. I won't use 2k unless I get a better set up because it only takes one inhalation (according to safety advice I read a long time ago) to give you permanent symptoms

Niro750
11-03-2018, 10:55 PM
I've sprayed 2k clears on automobiles. It's not all that bad as some here are trying to make it out to be. There is definitely no need for an air fed system for the little amount being used on a model.

As far as respirators Harbor Freight actually sells disposable respirators. They are good for several uses of painting a whole automobile so they would probably be good til it deteriorates painting something like a model.

As good as it is to have someone with experience provide advice, I'm still not risking it. The risks are too high for me

nakadds
11-04-2018, 01:19 AM
When you guys use respirators, is that in addition to a spray booth? When I use 2k, I try to spray as close to the extraction fan as possible so that the overspray and fumes goes out the window. I also have a window fan running pretty much 24/7 to keep the room ventilated whether I'm painting or not. Its not 100% safe but I feel like the risk is reduced. What kind of set up is everyone using in addition to respirators?

360spider
11-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Well, I spray outside, so proper ventilation is a non-issue for me.

Niro750
11-04-2018, 11:25 AM
When you guys use respirators, is that in addition to a spray booth? When I use 2k, I try to spray as close to the extraction fan as possible so that the overspray and fumes goes out the window. I also have a window fan running pretty much 24/7 to keep the room ventilated whether I'm painting or not. Its not 100% safe but I feel like the risk is reduced. What kind of set up is everyone using in addition to respirators?

You will have to, consensus is that the organic filters won't remove the harmful part of 2k. That's why the filtration systems for volume use of 2k are pretty complicated and automotive users use air fed masks. I'm sure in the UK there are special regulations on professional spray booths that I have read about.

Mind and not vent into your neighbours garden, unless you don't like them!!!

white97ex
02-05-2019, 11:18 AM
I too need to pick up a new mask. The strap on my old mask finally broke and it is "fixed" with tape at the moment!

I see you are in Ft. Worth, do you attend the MCMA Showdown?

lovegt40
02-05-2019, 12:18 PM
3M with 6001 CN filters

Add your comment to this topic!