Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Light Issue

Shurrieta
01-12-2017, 01:07 PM
I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I'm having issues with the brake lights. During the day, when I'm not using the headlights, I'll hit the brake pedal and the left and upper light will activate but not the right one. At night, when I use the headlights, I'll hit the brake pedal and only the upper light on top of the rear hatch will come on and the left and right lights go out. They will illuminate with the lights being on normally but go out when I hit the brake. I checked and replaced the bulb on the right and even tried changing the stop light switch also and no change so I'm looking for anything else that could be causing the issue. Thanks in advance.

Shurrieta
01-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Got a little better. Inside the housing itself there are the flat connectors that link up with the prongs on the bulb holder. The negative connector is the single one and it will drop below the plastic and you have to use a flat-head screwdriver to bend that connector up a little bit, nothing too drastic. Now the brake lights work consistently when the brake pedal is pushed and I just have 2 lights, the top and the right, that wont come on with the headlights on.

rhandwor
01-13-2017, 06:06 PM
You need to use a 12 volt test light check for both power and ground. Spray with penetrating oil and scrap contacts if your bulbs are good.

Add your comment to this topic!