Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

08 town and country starting issues

jehanny
09-24-2016, 09:23 PM
My 08 T&C has intermittent starting issues. Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens or I hear a single click, but if I try again it starts right up. Has anyone seen this behavior and if so any guidance?

RIP
09-25-2016, 02:14 PM
At the top of the list is starter solenoid contacts. They wear over time making the contact plunger travel further to make contact. Typical on a 5+ year old van.

I think (???) your starter solenoid is separate from the starter but bolted to the starter. Next time it clicks tap it with a hammer.

dj1111
08-17-2017, 05:49 PM
I have a very similar issue with my 2005 Grand Caravan 3.3L engine. Happened over a month ago for a few starts but everything was fine again until today. Took 6 tries to get it to start this morning. Then later I swear it took 12 tries to get it to start. And when it finally makes contact it starts fine. Been a long time since I had starter issues in any vehicle but this sounds exactly like what you described. I'll be going under it this weekend and will report back my findings once I figure it out.

Has anyone here changed a starter on this van before? Is it relatively easy?

Thanks for any help.

Mbriggs
09-14-2017, 09:30 PM
I thought that the 96-00 vans sucked for starter replacement, but the 05-07 starter is even worse. I'm sure that if you have a lift and the perfect tools you can get it done from the bottom, but I was very happy to find this video which helped a lot! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quds2qPkteg&t=3s Taking the frame-rail and fan out wasn't that bad, and it made the job a lot easier. Biggest thing was that the top bolt also has a 2nd smaller nut on top of the main bolt that holds the ground. '08 and newer is probably different.

caravan96
12-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Our 08 T&C 4.0L occasionally clicks when the fob is turned to start. It has a new starter and solenoid. Rocking the van back and forth, sometimes even gently, gets it working. Things to try to help the repair folks: another fob, remote start, start in neutral, move the gear shift gently while in park. (None worked for us.) Any other help?

caravan96
08-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Our 08 T&C continues to occasionally have this problem. Instead of rocking the van, this works for now: turn FOB to "ON", put foot on brake, move gear shift from "P" to "D" and back to "P", turn FOB to "Start". A computer controls the start cycle and it needs several inputs to respond before it turns over the engine so this may not work.

Add your comment to this topic!