Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 crown victoria tailshaft has a hole in it

pimblac78
09-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Could I just replace the tailshaft or do I need a new transmission and could I replace it myself or do I need to take it to a shop thanks and god bless....

DeltaP
09-07-2015, 06:27 PM
That's an AOD trans. There's the tailshaft housing, rear shaft support bushing,rear seal,housing mounting gasket. Sensors in the housing to be removed and installed in the new housing. The trans has to be removed for access.

pimblac78
09-07-2015, 06:49 PM
That's an AOD trans. There's the tailshaft housing, rear shaft support bushing,rear seal,housing mounting gasket. Sensors in the housing to be removed and installed in the new housing. The trans has to be removed for access.

So as far as needing a new transmission...all I have to do is drop the transmission and check to see if the yoke or drive shaft is bent first...and then change only the bell housing and I'm good

pimblac78
09-07-2015, 06:53 PM
So as far as needing a new transmission...all I have to do is drop the transmission and check to see if the yoke or drive shaft is bent first...and then change only the bell housing and I'm good
So what do you think cause the hole in the drive shaft...because I was getting some vibration when I started driving but it went away after a few seconds. ..and also will it be hard to change the tailshaft housing. ..thanks so much for your help..

liya_leacree
09-07-2015, 07:37 PM
then take it to a shop. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!