Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is this a good deal?

theshepherd1
07-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi, I found a 2002 Crown Vic HPC on craigslist. Here's the link:
http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/4545021081.html

Can you see any obvious/potential problems for this car from the post? Should I go and check the car out or should I back off from this one? It is going to be my first car, so will the gas be a lot more costing than other cars? And how about the insurance rate? Lol I feel like I don't know anything about cars, and I probably don't xD

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

65comet
07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
If it was a police car or otherwise in govt service, they tend to spend 2/3 of their time idling. So all that time isn't reflected in the mileage. But the good thing is that there are tons and tons of them to get parts off of if you need it and at a reasonable cost. And they were built to take some punishment. If I wanted one of those (I don't, not my taste), I'd offer $2,200 and see what they say. Fuel economy isn't very good. So if you have a long commute or don't have a lot to spend on gas, you might want to go with something smaller.

theshepherd1
07-29-2014, 01:27 PM
If it was a police car or otherwise in govt service, they tend to spend 2/3 of their time idling. So all that time isn't reflected in the mileage. But the good thing is that there are tons and tons of them to get parts off of if you need it and at a reasonable cost. And they were built to take some punishment. If I wanted one of those (I don't, not my taste), I'd offer $2,200 and see what they say. Fuel economy isn't very good. So if you have a long commute or don't have a lot to spend on gas, you might want to go with something smaller.

Thanks. Yeah I would keep my eyes on this car while try to find a Toyota or a Honda. Also, are Nissan Sentra good cars? It has 141k miles on it and asking for 2500 bucks.

65comet
07-30-2014, 10:56 PM
My personal opinion is that if someone gave me a brand new toyota, I would not even sell it. I would take it straight to a junk yard and have them crush it so that no one else would have to drive it.
I have owned a Honda and found them to be extremely reliable.
No one that I know has owned a Nissan. I probably know thousands of people and have had the conversion with others about if they know anyone that owns a Nissan as I found it strange. Maybe it is a regional thing. The last person I know of was actually a Datsun, so I don't consider that a Nissan. I have nothing against them, but have no opinion for them.
I am from a Ford family, so they get a bit of a thumbs up. But only slightly as a few of their engineers and cost cutting accountants have me steamed over a few things.
I like some vehicles from GM. I don't know of a Dodge I would own, but I wouldn't stop someone in my family from buying one.
A lot of the Honda's will go 300,000 miles from what I've seen.

Add your comment to this topic!