Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Grand Cherokee 4.0 no voltage at coil

popsdeuce
06-21-2013, 07:16 AM
I am having a problem solving a will not start issue with my vehicle. It started running a little rough when stopped, it acted as if was going to stall if it remained in gear. I had to place it in neutral to continue to run. I also noticed a backfire condition that was intermitent sometines under acceleration. After about three days of this condition now the vehicle will not run. I have checked the fuel pressure and it is within specs. I found there was no spark @ the sparkplugs so I checked the crankshaft position sensor and observed a high value of resistance between terminals B&C therefore I installed a new one. After further checking there is no voltage at the wiring connector that supplies 12V to the coil with the ignition in the on position. I'm not sure what is the correct method in checking for this voltage is. I read that it could possibly be the ASD relay so I tried another matching relay and ther was still no voltage at the coil. At this point I am somewhat at a standstill and not sure where to proceed, any ideas. Thanks

wpatters1229
06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
I had a similar problem and it was the coil....I had it happen climbing a hill and it just stopped. The coil is cheap (not expensive) and easy to replace....after 20 years it should be replaced and will probable clear all the problems....it could even be shorted to ground in which case you probable will not see any voltage to it. I would start there and if that does not fix it then look at the computer...i would bet money on the bad coil.

Add your comment to this topic!