Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 JGC ECU wiring harness

bmenassa
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi everybody. I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 liter/6 cylinder that has 164 K miles. I've kept it in pretty good shape with tons of new parts over the past 3 years or so, and don't want to part with it. However, lately it's been getting horrible gas mileage (about 10 MPG highway), has been running roughly, and smells bad.

Finally took it to the dealer after several attempts by my local, independent shop. Dealer said that the car has been dripping oil down onto the ECU wiring harness for so long that the oil corroded the wires and harness plugs/sockets to the point that they are un-repairable. He said this harness is no longer made, and even if I could find one in a junk yard, it would be "pure luck" to be able to use it and have it work.

His solution? Buy a new car, mine wasn't worth fixing. Would cost several thousand dollars, more than the car is worth.

Actually, the guy sounded sincere, like he really was trying to save me a ton of money and hassle on a difficult problem that did not have much chance of success.

But what do YOU think? Can motor oil really corrode wires and sockets, or just gum them up? Can't this thing just be cleaned really good with an electronics degreaser spray?

Any tips appreciated...

jpb53
05-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Try here. $250 to $450.
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

bmenassa
05-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the tip! They have several that might work...

Add your comment to this topic!