Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2012 grand cherokee quadra trac II 4wd

alumi
03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey there, I just bought a 2012 Grand Cherokee and was told it was 4WD.
I owned an older model 4WD and never had problems but this ones tends to fishtail in the snow.
Is it possible to fishtail with 4WD? Or is there a problem with the system? tried asking the dealership but I cannot get a proper answer. They say its normal?

Any ideas or explanations?

Dave
:confused:

fredjacksonsan
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Hey alumi,, Welcome to AF.

I'm not as familiar with the 2012 system. Can you post a picture of your center gearshift/etc so we can see what you have?

Perhaps in full time 4wd most of the power goes to the rear wheels, which would cause fishtailing. Do you have the select terrain system or something else? Also if the center differential is not locked, they that could cause the same issue. Check your owner's manual and post back to let us know which system you have and what it says about function.

alumi
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I have the select terrain system. It has the option of auto/snow/sport/rock/sand and mud.
I also read that my 4WD system works by transferring power to individual wheels if it feels that there are wheels slipping.
If one wheel or two slip, then the computer will transfer power to the remaining non slipping wheels.
I just do not understand why the fishtailing.
I had a 1999 Grand Cherokee Quadra Drive all time 4X4 and it was a tank. It went through everything but I think it was always locked and did not have the option to transfer power. Maybe I am used to that system.

alumi
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
The system I have is the Quadra Trac II 4WD
Unlike the Quadra Trac I which simply transfers upto 100% of power to either axle, the Trac II transfers power to individual wheels depending on which ones are not slipping.

fredjacksonsan
03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Yeah it might fishtail a little then, with a slight lag between when slip is detected and application of torque to another wheel.

Maybe the days of "normal" 4wd systems with mechanical situations is over...unless you get a Wrangler. :)

Add your comment to this topic!