Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 no top end

swingline
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
2004 4.7 liter runs out of power at 5000 rpm, stays in gear cause the shift point at wot is more like 6000. No codes, runs fine otherwise.

fredjacksonsan
01-16-2013, 01:09 AM
It might be because of this (http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/v8/3530.html)

Even though max engine speed is 6000 rpm, the power drops off dramatically at just over 5000.

Unless....how long have you had it, and did the problem start suddenly or has it always been like this?

spree
02-05-2013, 02:37 AM
I wish this thread would have went farther. My 04 just started doing this, pulled a code #8 cylinder misfire. Runs fine till you step on the gas then no power.

swingline
02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
it's a customer's vehicle.
Did head gaskets and exhaust. Of course according to them just started after i worked on it. My first impression was the pcm needed to relearn shift points, but that hasn't happened.

spree
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
it's a customer's vehicle.
Did head gaskets and exhaust. Of course according to them just started after i worked on it. My first impression was the pcm needed to relearn shift points, but that hasn't happened.

My code came back as...
vacuum leak
spark plugs or wires
coil
fuel pressure

It drives normal except at wot and the weather hasn't permitted me to look into it yet. As soon as I find the problem I'll post the results. Maybe this thread will help someone down the road.

hundahunta
02-19-2013, 10:02 PM
fuel pressure or partially plugged exhaust

spree
02-20-2013, 11:36 PM
fuel pressure or partially plugged exhaust

Already checked the exhaust and no restrictions I was thinking maybe vac leak...I hope! I'm more the sure it isn't plugs or wires and I'm thinking if it was a fuel pressure problem it would be there even at low speeds. Or am I thinking wrong???

swingline
02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
vacuum leaks cause idle problems not wot problems
sounds like you need a tune up

spree
02-22-2013, 11:44 PM
vacuum leaks cause idle problems not wot problems
sounds like you need a tune up

I must be getting old! A tune up was the last thing on my mind. But your right! I should have been thinking that first. With the amount of miles my wife puts on this thing 158k. I guess plugs and wires have moved up the list to #1.

swingline
02-28-2013, 08:29 AM
my original problem was the left bank cam off one tooth.

no real timing marks, just eyeball the "v8" stamped on the gears to vertical position, guess my eyes were off that day. had thought that but threw it away because scan tool read crank/cam in sync, but only right bank has cam sensor.

was able to retard cam one tooth without pulling timing cover, thank god.

Add your comment to this topic!