Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air Bag light on after fuel pump replacement

cvg1950
12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Hello Peoples! After my 95 GCL wouldn't start and was towed to Jeep dealership, the problem was diagnosed has the fuel pump. Well..OK.. $800+ later (over $400. for the factory fuel pump), I went to pick up my Jeep. Started and ran beautifully..but I noticed the air bag light was on, and wasn't that way before it wouldn't start. Went back into dealership and told'em..they told me nothing they did would have any bearing on the air bag or the dash warning light. If I wanted them to diagnose the problem it would be $145.00 to check it out.. I was so mad and after a couple of possibly rude comments, I left thinking I would have someone else check it out for me.

I've found that I can find better info. and help online than my local dealership can generally provide. So... anyone have any ideas has to what could have happened to cause this problem? I have re-booted the electrical system (more than once) by disconnecting the battery. Any ideas, or steps to be checked would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

fredjacksonsan
12-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Try a reset. Take off both battery cables, and hold them together for 30 sec. This should set all parameters back to factory settings, and reset the computer.

If the light still shows after reconnecting the battery, I'd first make sure that you still HAVE an airbag (they're a hot item on the stolen parts list). If it's still there then I'd take it back to the dealer and speak to a service manager. Even though they didn't mess with the airbag, they still worked on the electrical system when they disconnected power to the pump, and the issue was caused by them. They could have broken a wire or shorted out a relay.

Be firm, be polite, and work up the chain of command if you're not satisfied by what you hear from the guy you're talking to.

Add your comment to this topic!