Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering is just gone

Peterid
09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I was driving my wife's 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo and I suddenly had the check gauges light turn on. I looked and noticed that the battery was reading as dead, though all the electrics work and it starts up just fine. It also started running VERY hot and the power steering just stopped functioning. Luckily I was close to home and managed to limp back and park it.I checked the power steering fluid, and the tank is about half full. I waited awhile to let it cool down, but when I started it again, I still had no power steering and it began to run very hot almost immediately after I drove it in a circle around the parking lot. The battery gauge also dropped back to 0. Over last last month it has stalled a few times and had felt just kind of sluggish, the RPM gauge always looks low. Any ideas what may be causing this?

gmtech1
09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Is the belt still on it?

Peterid
09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Actually, no. I just noticed, the belt slipped off and got shredded by the radiator fan. That solves what the issue is, now to fix it. Thanks, it probably would have taken me awhile to notice the missing belt.

Add your comment to this topic!