Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

advice on keeping my Jeep

firelight828
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a 1999 Jeep Grand cherokee limited that we got 5 years ago. It has just more than 136,000 miles. It isn't in great condition - some front end damage from an accident, some cosmetic damage inside and the left turn signal isn't working (it's on my husband's list to fix). Has it's quirks (starts slow in the winter) but it's not needed any major repairs.

My concern is when should we expect major repairs given the number of miles? (and by major, I mean $500+)

mco65
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
136,000 is not a ton of miles but I am not a big fan of Jeep especially from that era.
There is really no way of knowing when the hammer will drop without knowing the cars past history.... I would be more worried about the transmission than the engine assuming the engine has had normal maintenance. It probably wouldn't hurt to have both checked out soon especially if you looking at regular use.

firelight828
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
It is used during the week currently, but in a few months we are looking at using it as the primary Family car because we will have a third carseat to cram into the back and 3 carseats just won't fit in our Toyota yaris. Trying to decide if it is a better financial decision to get a new car (probably a minivan) with better gas mileage (looking at saving at least $50 a month over using the Jeep) than to spend the money to tune the Jeep up and pay the extra $$ per month on gas.

I guess there's no way to know for sure, but if we were looking at having to replace the transmission... just trying to decide which would be better, keeping the jeep or replacing it.

12Ounce
08-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I don't own a Jeep. But I am trying to help a friend maintain her 2001 ... and I am a neophyte at that task! I am slowly, after more exposure, becoming a Jeep fan. They are ruggedly built and fairly straight foward in design. I have just recieved the shop manual for this vehicle, and its correct owner's manual ... the wrong owner's manual was originally installed in the glovebox!

So now that I have all this information, we can begin the correct maintenance procedures ... after 104k miles of something else!

This offers you little to help you make your mind up, I know. But there are many Jeeps on the road ... they must be making some folks happy! I would suggest you make sure you have the correct owners's manual if you decide to keep it ... read and follow. A shop manual ($150) from Chrysler is a powerful tool to have ... even if you are no mechanic.

Good luck!

fredjacksonsan
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I would just keep maintaining it according to the schedule. Most Jeeps like fresh fluids, so keep on top of those.

What engine do you have? I think the Limited was V8; if so then you can expect pretty good service from that engine, that year.

I had a 99 with the 6 cylinder, and never had one issue in 155k, (except for the bad head, lots of threads here about it). I currently have an 04 with 135k on it, no real issues there either.

As mentioned previously, there's no way of telling if and when things could go bad.

Add your comment to this topic!