Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 power steering growl and whine

edboyles
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
I developed a leak at the pressure switch just before I got home and managed to make it home. I changed the pressure switch and topped over the power steering reservoir to the correct level.

When I started the car, it had the obvious noise from lack of fluid which got better and the rough steering went away. I drove the car about 10 miles but the whine and growl is still there. Is there air in the system casuing the noise or is the pump going bad.

It drives fine, just noisy.

FishFind
05-18-2012, 06:30 PM
I developed a leak at the pressure switch just before I got home and managed to make it home. I changed the pressure switch and topped over the power steering reservoir to the correct level.

When I started the car, it had the obvious noise from lack of fluid which got better and the rough steering went away. I drove the car about 10 miles but the whine and growl is still there. Is there air in the system casuing the noise or is the pump going bad.

It drives fine, just noisy.

It could be either.

It will bleed its self of air. you may want to lock out the wheel left to right a few times and maybe lock it one direction before you turn it off. It may take a while to get all the air out but it will do it on its own..

If it keeps making noise after a while then the pump is most likely damaged.

FishFind
05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Did you fix this problem?

edboyles
05-26-2012, 05:19 PM
It is getting quieter (the car is seldom driven) so I think it is indeed trapped air. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!